Please sign in to post.

Italy 2017 Trip

Stopping by to say thanks to my "peeps" at RS - thanks to all your helpful suggestions, reports, and tips, we had a very wonderful 2 week trip. Flew into FCO, then did train travel to Florence, Milan, Venice, and back to Rome. Still adored Rome, didn't warm up to Florence (still too crowded), was impressed with Milan, but Venice still has my heart! From start to finish everything was perfect. The weather was marvelous, no rain at all, the food delicious (peanut butter, pasta, pizza and wine) Adored my first experience with train travel - the good old USA needs more of them. Booked back in June, we saved a ton of $$$ and even got to ride 1st class on Italo from Venice to Rome. Went to the Papal Audience on Wed, Oct 4th, grabbed great seats and was able to get good photos of Papa Francesco as he came by in the popemobile. Used Walks of Italy for the Gladiator Gate Tour and the Pristine Sistine (still too crowded) Tour. The only scary part was when I took a pix of two security guards in camo walking through Florence Santa Maria Novella Station - apparently they DON"T like that; when they heard the shutter click, they shouted no, no, no, - delete, delete. But lesson learned, will not do that again! Anyway, thanks for everything, all went smoothly and it was due to all the information and lessons learned here!! Happy Travels!

Posted by
6289 posts

Peanut butter? Really?

Thanks for the post. Just one comment - if you didn't delete the photos, you're lucky they didn't take your camera. When security guards or military tell you to delete, they mean it. Back in the good old days of film cameras, I've seen military rip the film out of tourists' cameras. And at the Sistine Chapel, I've seen guards take people's cameras and do the deleting themselves.

You're absolutely right about the trains, though.

Posted by
2527 posts

Taking pictures of security personnel, unless clearly part of a tourist attraction AND clearly permitted is a very bad idea. Failing to delete a prohibited photo falls into the same category.

Posted by
681 posts

In Slovenia, we actually took a picture of a beautiful building, not knowing that is was part of their police system. Guards came running, yelling and wanted our passports. We so deleted while shaking in our boots and apologizing. I am surprised that they did not stand there and watch you delete. Absolutely should have deleted but glad you came out ok and it was a wonderful trip. Why peanut butter?? Taste better in Italy? Used with crackers for snack or sandwich on train? Just wondering.

Posted by
151 posts

In all fairness, I did not see one sign telling me NOT to take photos of security or I would not have done so. I have also been pulled over by the local police in West Va years ago for taking photos of a train yard! (And peanut butter is my comfort food - it's good for breakfast, lunch, and dinner (I have simple tastes)

Posted by
230 posts

One of our RS local guides told us that security teams all over the world do not want you taking pictures of them because if those pix get posted to social media, bad guys can use them to determine things like how many troops are stationed where and what sort of weapons the troops have.

Posted by
1368 posts

Glad you enjoyed your trip. I was in Italy three years ago and used Italo for our trip from Rome - Florence - Venice. Did first class for the Florence - Venice leg & enjoyed it.

Posted by
3835 posts

I rather liked Florence, but I also like Renaissance history and read a biography of Lorenzo Medici (Lorenzo the Great!) before the trip. I was also there in early May, so perhaps not as many people as in high season. A couple of favorite off-the-beaten-path spots:

1. Biblioteca Oblata, the library that is a just a couple of blocks from the Duomo and has a great courtyard (filled with studying students) that has a nice view of the Duomo's dome. it also has a very inexpensive cafeteria with good ambience and nice views of the Duomo.

2. 5 e Cinque, a wonderful vegetarian restaurant in the Oltrarno that was extraordinarily satisfying to this carnivore.