Please sign in to post.

Ireland-Sept 2012

The Irish are such lovely people; I felt very welcomed everywhere I went. As my 50th birthday present to me, I hiked solo on the Dingle Way starting in Camp and ending in Cloghane. So my friends would not freak out (because I am a female), I booked with a walking tour company that could accomodate a single hiker; they made the B&B arrangements and provided maps, trail notes and a cell phone. Someone saw me leave in the a.m., then someone was expecting me in the p.m. All I had to do was hike, and try not to get lost!! The Dingle Peninsula is fantastic!! After the hiking, I went up to Galway and spent a few days. I did a day tour of the Burren/Cliffs of Moher. Unfortunately the weather did not cooperate for a day trip to Inishmor. Then the final 2 days was in Dublin. I have never been shy about talking to strangers, fortunately the Irish aren't either! I had dinner companions every night; good recommendations for good music at the pubs; and of course Guinness every day!! One night I was really tired after the hiking, so a wee drop of the creature (Jameson's) helped me sleep.
I highly recommend a trip to Ireland on your list.

Posted by
1265 posts

Ann - Glad to read you had a great time. What was the name of the Walking Tour company you used ?

Posted by
12 posts

Hi Joel,
Wonderful Ireland. In addition to the self-guided hikes, they do offer guided hikes.

Posted by
528 posts

Ann, what a wonderful birthday gift! We were in Ireland recently and love the beauty of the countryside and the delightful people. Your trip report has inspired me to think about a hike along the Dingle Way also.

Posted by
222 posts

Hello Ann, I enjoyed your report! I am always impressed with anyone who can travel on their own, something I have never done. Way to go! We loved Ireland also, the Dingle peninsula is so amazing! Jameson's, aye? We learned that you drink Jameson in the Republic of Ireland and Bushmills in Northern Ireland while there - always something new to learn! :0)