Please sign in to post.

Ireland 10 Days Sept/Oct 2019 -- CONTINUED

People may say we're crazy when they see this trip report -- too much moving around, too much driving -- but I say to each his own! That's what's great about travel -- we all focus on what we'd like to do. SO... here are our ~10 days in Ireland -- our first trip, for our 30th wedding anniversary. Thanks upfront to all posters here who offered wonderful advice and suggestions.

DAY 1
O'Hare to Dublin - Taxi from DUB to City Center
Drop bags at The Dean - "boutique" hotel within walking distance to city center/sites and one where they provide earplugs as a matter of course. I loved the HIP and my husband did not prefer the NOISE. I will stay again 100%. Cool/design rooms, rooftop w/views and a rope swing. Courteous employees pretending I'm hip even tho I'm old. https://deandublin.ie/

Walked thru town to Fallon & Byrne on Exchequer Street for Lunch. Grocery/prepared foods to stay/go. 1.50 euro for 1 stalk of corn.
National Gallery self-guided ... hit the highlights (FREE)
Walked St. Stephen's Green & Merion Square. Victorian Doors & Oscar Wilde Statue
Tour @ Christ Church Cathedral (AMAZING docent) Something for everyone ... history, art, architecture, opportunity ring the bells in the tower.

PUBS: Toner's and Doheny & Nesbitt (recommended by friends from Dublin) Classic interiors and friendly locals.

DINNER: The Fish Shop @ 76 Benburb St (very few tables, 100% courtesy staff, EXCELLENT menu options, hip ambiance w/whitewashed walls!)

DAY 2
Skipped breakfast @ Hatch & Son's (St. Stephen's Green location) .. Only coffee spot open = Starbucks....!

Book of Kells =10am Access Tickets LOVED/"antechamber" full of great info/library amazing ...! Calder in the plaza outside.

LUNCH: Dollard & Company: highly recommend ... bakery, butcher, order food to eat in, pizza ovens, etc.... I like to poke through grocery stores and food emporiums when I travel. This was fun.

PUB: Walked along river, ha'penny bridge and thru Temple Bar area (stopped at Merchant Arch for a pint)
on way to Dublin Castle tour (another AMAZING docent -- great variety, something for everyone, recommend)
PUB: Long Haul on walk back to hotel.
On way to dinner:
PUB: The Barge ... fun ambiance, on the canal.
DINNER: The Exchequer in Ranelagh (they have 2 locations) Our "official" anniversary dinner, although we had many haha ... service, food, menu, WINE = TOP SHELF.

After Dinner: PUB: J. O'Connells on walk back to hotel.

DAY 3
Rented Car in Dublin, drove to Kilkenny.
(I drove 100% of the trip; we rented manual. No issues. Rented from Hertz on Haddington Rd, Dublin)
Pouring rain ... walked up to Kilkenny Castle and elected to skip interior... walked park and gardens.
Next up: CASHEL! LOVED this stop.

Had lunch reservations at MIKEY RYAN'S -- again, raining but checked out the herbs and outdoor space out back ... LOVED and will return. https://www.mikeyryans.ie/
After lunch, Rock of Cashel! A highlight... amazing view of countryside and TWO good docents. Take time to tour the chapel (separate tour & ticket); good information on restoration, etc. Recommend!
After Rock --- T J Ryan Pub (classic interior, friendly bartender & patrons) in town before heading to Kenmare for the night at O Donnabhains.

O Donnabhains was lovely. Clean, friendly, pub on the ground floor that was lively w/fire and trad music. Breakfast in the mornings was served by husband & wife while kids ate in uniforms w/bookbags and then left for school. I am not a B&B lover, but I will return here. Rooms are Spartan but clean.

DINNER @ No. 35 in Kenmare. Lovely ambiance, excellent food, candle lit, affable hosts, service not rushed.
Stopped in a few local pubs for trad music. Easy town to walk.

...to be continued ... out of space!

Posted by
681 posts

I love Ireland. Reading your report, just makes me want to go back. Looking forward to the rest. Thanks

Posted by
3844 posts

May I suggest instead of starting a new "Part 2" thread just make part 2 (and subsequent parts) a reply post in this thread? That way readers don't have to search for the various parts of the trip report when they inevitably get separated.

Posted by
1369 posts

Nice report. Have added a few items from it for a future trip myself. I agree with Dave in adding your remainder within this thread. I like to write my full report on a Word document, then cut and paste it into my trip report under one heading.

Looking forward to the remainder.

Posted by
11 posts

Thanks for your encouragement. This is my first trip report so I'm a novice! Appreciate all the input everyone provide to us so want to share a bit back to everyone.