Please sign in to post.

Heart of Italy Trip Report (June 16-25 2023)

This was our first RS tour and we were very happy that we booked. Our group was a bit larger than normal (30 in our group) but it was a great group and didn't feel like we were hearding cats. Our tour guide Anne was great!! Professional, timely, provided great history and was very knowledgable.

Rome was lovely (AND HOT)! We arrived a day early and had an afternoon & evening to explore on our own. Certainly a busy city in June so expect to wait in line at any of the attractions. So glad we had Hilaria (local guide) for the Forum, Coliseum and the Vatican. If going on your own I would highly suggest a local guide as navigating the entrance, reservations, and tickets would be frustrating. Good comfortable shoes are a must as well as lightweight, quick dry clothing & socks. From Rome we boarded a lovely (AIR CONDITIONED) motor coach and went to my favorite part of the tour which was Volterra. So refreshing and not as crowded. Just a lovely city overall. Then on to Cirque Terre. Beautiful, rugged, HOT and crowded. We saw each of the 5 towns via train. Anne did a great job at helping us figure out how to buy tickets. From there we were back on the bus to Florence but stopped at an Olive Tree farm for lunch. Lovely experience for all of us. Florence is crowded (but not quite as bad as Rome) and weather continued with temps in the high 80's. Loved the art & history in Florence but we definitely had "art overload".

My advice??? When selecting booking dates look at average temperatures if you are sensitive to hot temps and plan accordingly. If you are trying to avoid crowds, you'll likely want to visit during the off season. When Rick says to pack light - pay attention and follow that advice! We unfortunately did check 1 bag and we arrived in Rome prior to our bag so we missed our pre-arranged ride to the 1st hotel since we had to wait 2 more hours for the next flight for our bag to arrive. Get everything in carry ons and pack a fold up duffle for items you have purchased along the way to check on the trip home. You can do laundry along the way and wear the same thing twice (Oh the horror! haha) YOU WILL WALK A LOT so invest in the best walking shoes you can afford. I only had 3 pairs of shoes but so glad each was comfortable! (Bzees, Sketcher slip ons, Clarks). Rick is not kidding when he says 2-8 miles per day. You will also use more stairs in Italy than anywhere in the US. Practice stairs and do lots of walking a few months prior to your trip. Read Rick's book in advance and plan to pre-book anything of interest that is not included in the tour (Duomo in Florence was something we couldn't see). Most popular sites fill up way in advance. Explore the food and don't be afraid to try off the beaten path restaurants. Eat gelato for breakfast lunch & after dinner! (I am still having dreams about the gelato). Lastly when they talk about pick pockets they are not making it up! It's real and you must be aware. I felt someone in my pocket at the Vatican - lucky all they got was a dirty tissue. Use the provided money belt (men) and ladies buy a front small purse that zips and stays on the front. Lastly...enjoy every minute and take the time to relish in the beauty & history. Be happy that you let the Rick Steve's groups do the hard work & planning for you!

Our next tour??? Ireland in 2024 - We were going to do it on our own but we after experiencing the "RS way" we think it's silly to plan that on our own.

Posted by
1825 posts

A lovely report, especially for someone who has not gone on a Rick tour. My 1st tour was the Italy Village Tour, it's still one of my favorites and I'll take my 9th tour this September. Loved that you reinforced so many of Rick's travel tips. I hope 'newbies' will listen. I took the 14 Day Ireland tour in 2018 and absolutely loved both the country and the tour. Our guide introduced us to the local music each time we entered a new county and I learned so much about Irish music this way. So have fun.

Posted by
13946 posts

Oh, I am SO glad you had a wonderful time! Heart of Italy was my first RS tour and my first trip to Italy! It's a great intro to both and deciding if tour travel suits you.

Your tips are excellent especially the stairs. OK, I KNEW there were 7 hills in Rome but somehow that did not translate to me understanding you had to go up and own a jillion staircases, hahaha! Glad your pickpocket only got a dirty tissue! You were a smart traveler!

Thank you for posting!

PS - The Ireland tour is excellent and after you see the roads from the bus you will be happy you are letting someone else drive, lol!

Posted by
6513 posts

Glad you had a good time. Spring and fall are better almost anywhere if you can do it. My first RS trip was in Italy and it was great. Like Pam said, you'll like the Ireland tour too. Try to build in some extra days before and after.

Posted by
2737 posts

Thank you for a great trip report. I’m going to Italy next year. Debating which RS Tour to sandwich in between independent travel. Can’t decide between Tuscany, Heart of Italy or My Way Italy in that order. Your trip report helps with my decision.

Posted by
234 posts

We went to Ireland independently with 2 college age kids in 2008 and drove (actually my husband did). Last year we did the RS tour. He definitely appreciated not driving on the other side. We always enjoy the local guides, another plus for the tour. We loved the added activities which can be done on your own but sometimes hard to arrange—the falconry, the Dingle crystal visit and the Irish coffee class. In 208 we did not go to Northern Ireland and I enjoyed it, especially the input from the local guides about “the troubles.”

2022 still had the threat of Covid and it did impact my enjoyment of the pub scene compared to before. (And I did get Covid.) I don’t think it was due to being on a tour as we were masked on the bus at all times. Ireland had come to the decision that it was endemic and restrictions were lifted. Hopefully it will subside by next year.