Please sign in to post.

Hadrian's Wall

We just spent 4 days along Hadrian's Wall and had a great time. I thought I would share a report specific to this part of our trip.

First of all, I wanted to share that Hadrian's Wall can be explored just by using public transportation. If you have hesitated to go because you thought you would need a car, wait no longer!

We flew into Newcastle and took the train to Corbridge where guide, Peter Carney (Off the wall tours) met us and spent the entire day taking us to key sites and teaching us Roman History. Our entire experience was greatly enriched by having this overview and orientation at the first. He dropped us off at Peartree B and B in Corbridge where we stayed for the first two nights.

There is a special bus AD122 that travels in a loop to at Hadrian Wall sites in the central area. Getting around couldn't be easier. We walked out first section of wall on day two and had a great time. The scenery is amazing. Then out to the highway, flag down the bus, and back to the B and B. We were fortunate to be in the village as they celebrated midsummer fete. We were welcomed warmly at a delightful community celebration and had many interesting conversations. This was a classic "back door moment".

We planned to end up further along the wall the next night and Hadrian's Haul luggage service picked up our bags from the first B and B and delivered them to the next for a nominal fee.

The phrase "windswept moors" took on new meaning during our next day of walking. The wind was strong, but it only added to the beauty. We climbed to the highest point on the wall and it seemed like you could see forever.

The bus dropped us 1 block from our new B and B, Ashcroft Guest House in Haltwhistle. Great to arrive to a friendly welcome and our luggage already up in our room. The accommodations were nothing short of luxurious and the breakfasts amazing.

I realized the proximity of the AD122 bus meant we really could have stayed here all 4 nights and not have needed to change accommodation. It is also a quick 5 minute walk to the train station with good connections to Newcastle and Sterling.

My suggestions for others would be to definitely hire Peter Carney, especially if you are there for a limited time. Secondly, public transportation is frequent and convenient a car is not a requirement.

Posted by
2758 posts

Thanks for the helpful report, Carol. We are headed to the area in September and have booked Peter Carney and will be staying at Ashcroft House - unfortunately for just two nights. Glad you had a good time!

Posted by
11613 posts

Planning on going next year, this is very helpful, thanks!

Posted by
681 posts

Hadrian's Wall has always been on my bucket list. Thanks for the excellent report.