Please sign in to post.

Greek Islands

I lived in Greece from 2000 - 2006. We traveled many of the islands. We returned to the Aegean recently and stopped briefly in Mykonos and Santorini. IMO, they have been destroyed by mass tourism and cruise ships. Absolutely packed and their charm lost. Avoid!

Posted by
6113 posts

I agree wholeheartedly with you. Unfortunately, posters on this forum seem obsessed with going there and nowhere but there, almost. It’s a pity, when there are many islands that haven’t been ruined by mass tourism to the same extent.

Posted by
23 posts

I am visiting Greece this May and was trying to find less traveled more authentic and charming islands to visit. I'll have two weeks, what would your suggestions be?

Posted by
7559 posts

I to visited the Greek Isles back then as well. I agree, cruise ships deposit an overwhelming number of people, but still, entering Santorini's caldera by boat is still a treat, and the island is ok for a night or two. Mykonos is still fine for the beaches, avoid the cruise crowds during the day, find a spot to see Delos, but again, yeah, maybe not worth a week.

As for other islands, figure out a ferry route. The central Cyclades featuring Mykonos, Paros, Naxos and Santorini, among others can be overdone. A side trip from Naxos would take you to the lesser known islands of Iraklia and Koufonissia, we spent a heavenly week on Koufonissia, nothing really to do other than relax on the beach.

The Western Cyclades are also nice, Sifnos, Serifos, Folegandros, Milos, a bit more off the American beaten path, but accessible. Things are slower there, less party, more culture.

Then there are dozens of other options, just factor in ability to get there from where you are.

Posted by
15584 posts

Sami, best to post a question on the Q&A section on Greece. You're on the Trip Reports section. More folks will see your question and you'll be notified when they respond. In the meantime, I loved Crete and Naxos last October.