Please sign in to post.

Greece October 2021

This is my first trip report, and it’s a bit belated, but thought it might help others planning a Greece trip. Booked this 24 day trip on my own, and spent just under $6500 for 2 people, including all flights (from US and also within Greece). Trip was Oct. 5-29 2021. Happy to answer any questions.

ATHENS > SANTORINI
Landed at ATH at 10 AM and caught a 1:30 PM SkyExpress flight to Santorini (45 min flight).

SANTORINI (3 nights)
Stayed in the lovely Altana Heritage Suites in Imerovigli. Cannot sat enough about this beautiful property! Booked the “Superior Double with Outdoor Plunge Pool and Caldera View” for $395 a night. Amazing price because similar suites were $1200 a night in Oia. I have been raving about this hotel to everyone who will listen.

Favorite restaurants: Anogi, Metaxi Mas, Volkan on the Rocks (which has an outdoor cinema at night, rotating Mamma Mia and My Big Fat Greek Wedding)

Favorite sites: Akrotiri, Museum of Prehistoric Thera, the villages of Pyrgos and Megalochori. Headed to Oia early one morning and it was virtually empty. People who have been to Santorini can’t believe my Oia pictures don’t have people in them.

PAROS (3 nights)
Took the Blue Star Delos ferry for Paros (3 hours and 15 minutes). Stayed in Parikia at Argonauta Hotel. Asked for twin beds, which we didn’t get. Breakfast was delicious though, served in an outdoor cafe.

Favorite sites: Lefkes village, Naoussa

NAXOS (3 nights)
Ferried to Naxos on the Blue Star Delos (45 minutes). Stayed at the amazing Hotel Grotta in Naxos Town. The sweetest staff of any hotel I’ve stayed at. They’re known for “Mama’s Famous Breakfast,” a huge spread of homemade Greek dishes brought in early each morning by a local grandma. Hotel had a cool splash pool (heated) on the basement level, plus a hot tub and sauna.

Favorite sites: The traditional villages of Apeiranthos, Halki, and Melanes. Hunting for discarded Kouros statues on the island. The cool graffiti at Alyko Beach in an abandoned hotel.

Favorite meal: Mama’s Famous Breakfast and Doukato in Naxos Town

ARACHOVA (1 night)
Flew from Naxos to Athens, and picked up a rental car at ATH. Drove straight to Arachova and checked in at Xenonas Iresioni, a ski lodge kind of hotel. Visited Delphi and the museum the next day using RS Greece book as a guide.

Favorite meal: To Tsokali

METEORA (2 nights)
Stayed in Kastraki at Doupiani House (note - took a nearby drive to Kalambaka where most tourists stay. Do not stay in Kalambaka. Kastraki is magical because you wake up right next to the cliffs. Nothing like having morning coffee on your balcony while contemplating how the monasteries were built). Was only able to visit 2 of the 6 monasteries due to my travel partner having some walking issues. Visited St. Nicholas of Anapafsas and Great Meteoron. Took the most amazing pictures. Meteora was 100% the highlight of my Greece trip!

NAFPAKTOS (1 night)
Just a stopover to break up the long drive. Stayed at Apollon Library Hotel (book themed - I got The Odyssey room). Beautiful harbor and Venetian castle.

OLYMPIA (1 night)
Crossed the Rio Antirio Bridge (€13.50 toll just to cross!) into the Peloponnese and checked into Olympion Asty hotel (beautiful pool and breakfast) near Ancient Olympia. Visited the Olympic museums and ancient site the next morning.

MONEMVASIA (2 nights)
Magical walled village on a rock! We stayed inside the castle at Malvasia Traditional Hotel. Explored the upper and lower towns. Ate at Voltes both nights because it was delicious!

NAFPLIO (3 nights)
Amymone Suites - overpriced but beautiful. Day trips to Tolo Beach and Mycenae.

ATHENS (4 nights)
Stayed in Psyrri which was a mistake - loud rembetiko music blared over amps until 3 AM. Should have stayed in Plaka. Did the usual ancient sites and museums. Enjoyed Ohi Day on 10/28 for free admission to many of the ancient sites. Athens Free Walking Tour was very good (2.5 hours)

Posted by
13 posts

(And I did leave a lot out because I was running out of room. For example, we spent 3 hours at Mystras on the way to Monemvasia. And did a ton of sightseeing in Athens. Just ask for anything I didn’t list.)

Enjoyed your report very much... thanks for taking the time. And for mentioning the cost... very rarely done but very useful!

Posted by
3226 posts

Lindsay, thank you so much for sharing your trip and a well done report. We went in 2019, but did not get to Santorini or Meteora, so darn, we have to go back!

Posted by
127 posts

Really nice to hear that Meteora was highlight of your tour. We will be there a week from Sunday. Yeah. Your total cost was excellent.

Posted by
19 posts

Thank you for sharing all that information! I'm trying to make a decision between going to Italy and Greece for 2 weeks in the beginning of Oct vs going to Spain and Portugal. One question: how was the weather like in Greece when you went? Thanks again!

Posted by
13 posts

The weather was great in the Cyclades the first 2 weeks of October. Too cold for swimming in the sea or pool, but the heated jacuzzis were nice. The mainland got a little chilly toward the end of October, and we wore jackets and jeans every day. The weather was actually perfect for me because I hate heat, and it never really got over 70 degrees.