Please sign in to post.

Greece April 2024 comments

Hi fellow travelers,
My sister and I just returned from Greece where we visited Athens, Santorini, Hydra, and Mychonos. I will start with Hydra.
From Athens Pareaus Port it was about 1.5 hours on the Aero2 Hydroplane type boat. It was fun. Everything Rick says in his book about the Hotel Sophia is absolutely wonderful. The best ameneties including a hand sized luffa since there were no washclothes anywhere we stayed in Greece. The best breakfast buffet we had on the entire trip. The owner and her daughter did everything they could to make us comfortable. The location is right on the harbor and the rates were a bit lower due to pre-season. We found a few places to eat where the main entrees were 20E which I don't think was expensive considering the inflationary spiral in the US the past 2 years. I found a restaurant on the harbor that had soups it was chilly there 50-60's. Pumpkin soup was very good. We also ate at Psaropoula recommended in the book. My grilled bass was excellent and very large 18E. My sister is vegan so she ordered a couple of appetizers and had wine(2) and the bill was about 32E total.

We flew to Santorini on Aegean 30min flight. The hotel in OIA was Sun Angelos Oia - Luxury Cave Suites and they were very nice. The ameneties were good. No Breakfast at this hotel. They had an outside spa which my sister used twice. Too cold and windy for me that early in the season. We had a kitchenette with refrigerator and coffee. The owners were very hospitable Spiros and his son Spiros. I managed the 50 steps up and down. There were no blockages to sunsets in this room. There was a restaurant down the street one block where we ate several times. The food was reasonable and good. We took the bus to Fira and OIA. I met my sister in Fira after she walked the trail downto Fira.
On to Mykonos flew Aegean again. The streets are a maze of paved paths designed to cause the pirates to get lost. I got lost walking around. We stayed at Porto Mykonos which had a very good Breakfast buffet. It was only a block into town. Amenities just ok. Another spa outside heated by sun only. Cool and windy so could not use. No obsticle to sunsets from this room either.
We took the short boat ride to Delos. The price is now 25 Euros round trip. Entrance fee to the site has not changed. Once on the island there is no store or cafe. Bring lots and lots of water. The restrooms and ticket booth are the only things open. One of the resident guards told us that the cafe and store had been closed for 4 years and there is no plan to reopen them in near future. The wildflowers were incredible.
Athens we stayed at Belle Athenes which is right near Monstariki Square easily reachable by the airport train for 9E every 30min. Hotel had good ameneties. Price was very reasonable. Lots of Restaurants around.

Posted by
11164 posts

Glad you enjoyed Greece. Regarding no wash cloths, they are really rare in Europe except maybe in a U.S. chain hotel.

Posted by
565 posts

Fun to see Greece in the somewhat off season. I always bring washcloths any time we go to Europe.