Please sign in to post.

Global Entry

Thought I would share my recent Global Entry experience since I found it so interesting.

We landed from Paris at JFK and everyone was race-walking down the endless concourse towards immigration. Honestly the walk was so long they had signs posted telling you it's still 10 minutes, now it's 6 minutes, now you're almost there get into the appropriate line.

The Global Entry section was full of machines that look like ATMs, and was empty. We picked two side by side and started the process. They didn't want a passport, or fingerprints, or a Global Entry card. They want to take your picture. There's an outline on the screen and you position yourself in it so it frames you at about the shoulders. It takes a picture, asks you if you like it, and then prints it on a small piece of thermal paper.

You take this insignificant document to a guard who looks at it and ... sends you to get your bags! No interrogation, no checking documents, no "how much stuff did you buy." Just waved us into the US of A. It was the damndest thing. Obviously behind the scenes there are layers of databases sharing and comparing info, but it's all invisible to the traveler.

Come to think of it, had a similar boarding experience once at Delta. Didn't care about my boarding pass, had me look into a video camera and the green light went off. I think it's kinda creepy.

Posted by
8645 posts

Oddly enough, at LAX no paper. After getting picture snapped and the green go ahead I turned to leave the area. As I passed by a uniformed officer with iPad uttered “ Welcome Back Claudia.”

Big Brother exists.

Posted by
7327 posts

At DFW in October, the machines were clustered together, back to back, and not all viewable from the surprisingly long queue. When it appeared a machine on the back side was free, it turned out to have an out of order sign. Two of the machines were down. We still needed to insert passports. With the new machines, it’s funny they ask if you’re happy with the photo! My response would to the machine and to the entry guards would be, “Are you happy with it? I just want to get through, and back home!”

Posted by
99 posts

Hi phred, same in Minneapolis when we came back home from Portugal through Amsterdam in August. Weirded me out too!

Posted by
89 posts

We had a similar experience at SFO a couple of weeks ago. I am short, it took longer to position myself in front of the camera so it can take my entire face and not just my forehead😊!

Posted by
6487 posts

Usually the picture they get of me is mostly my ever-enlarging forehead as I'm looking down at the directions, passport insert, fingerprint reader, etc. And they want to know whether I'm bringing back anything dutiable or >$800. But that's SeaTac, we must be a step behind technologically.

Yes, it seems creepy, but nobody forces us to fork over $100 for GE. Most of the value for me as at the TSA end before departure.

Posted by
11130 posts

Nothing creepy about it; it’s working as it’s supposed to! You already have been interviewed( at length in my case) and fingerprinted. What is creepy???

Posted by
4385 posts

I meant that just working off a fuzzy photo seems odd. At least scan my passport.

Posted by
1187 posts

I meant that just working off a fuzzy photo seems odd.

I assume you're talking about the low-rez photo on the piece of paper. That is just the proof that the Global Entry computers have used their facial biometrics program to identify you and you're good to go. All that happens before you get the printout. As others have noted, this is how it usually works now.

Posted by
8645 posts

Fine. Global Entry was working. My Big Brother comment was supposed to be humorous. Guess I missed the mark.