Please sign in to post.

Germany, Berlin, Dresden, Potsdam - Trip Report - May 2018 - Part 6

Continued from Part 5...

Potsdam - This should conclude my comments on Potsdam and Sanssouci. If I had a longer trip, I would have returned to Potsdam on another day. Plenty to see and do.

An interesting observation about the train ride from Potsdam to Berlin. The train car had candy, soda, and coffee vending machines on it. Nice.

Tuesday, May 22 - German History Museum (GHM), Berlin. This museum is so well organized, documented, and informative so that you knew what you are looking at. I obviously had to cover this museum rather quickly in a day, but I can see how a person could spend many more hours or days in it. It reminded me of the world history classes that I had to take in high school; in this museum, boring facts/history came to life. I was not impressed with the Special Exhibit on "Saving as a German History;" it was OK.

One side note about the GHM, they have a globe that does not have America on it. That is because they have a globe that was made before America was discovered. I wish I had taken a picture of the globe.

Wednesday -- Berggruen Museum, Berlin (across the street from the Charlottenberg Palace). I wanted to go to this museum because it has the Picasso Collection. Yes, I was a bit disappointed; the Picasso Museum in Paris is better. As for the other modern "artist" in this museum, i.e., Paul Klee, I say, give me a break...horrid.

Thursday -- Headed back Berlin to California. The Berlin/Munich leg of the trip was weather-delayed, which caused a 24-hour delay for me. Eventually, made it home. And, I am still reflecting on how wonderful my German trip was.

Posted by
1056 posts

Thanks for your informative report. It must have taken a lot of time and I appreciate the effort. I enjoyed reading about places I’ve visited before and dreaming about those I’ve yet to see.

Posted by
7 posts

Very nice report. Glad you had a great time! I'm planning a trip to Berlin/Dresden/Prague in October. This was a lot of help for making some lists and devising itinerary. Do you feel like for Berlin there was enough that interested you and that you didn't get to that you would plan another trip there?

Posted by
2469 posts

I agree with you about the German History Museum, I loved my visit there! I don’t recall the world globe before America was discovered! How cool to see.
I’ve enjoyed reading about your trip. Thanks for sharing.
I also loved the Pergamon Museum, the Gemaldegalerie and the Altes Museum.

Posted by
91 posts

Judy B:
re: German History Museum -- I would have missed the globe that did not show the USA, but the audioguide brought my attention to it; i.e., for me to turn around and look at this black globe that was encased in glass. It was interesting. I wish I took a picture of it.

J.Everett: There is so much to do in Berlin -- everything I wrote about and so much more. I don't know your interests or physical health; i.e., bike-riding, arts, history, performing arts, architecture, Jewish/WWII history, etc.

I highly recommend that you get a few good tour books from your local library. Many of them suggest walking tours of the different neighborhoods.

Posted by
14507 posts

Hi,

Thanks for the different episodes of this trip...telling and interesting.

Most definitely, Potsdam is worth a trip in itself, aside from seeing only Sans Soucci. I heartily recommend Neues Palais, if you're into more history. The crucial German decisions in the July Crisis of 1914 were taken in Potsdam at Neues Palais. But just walking around Potsdam is very interesting and enlightening from a historical perspective. The Film Museum is ca 10 mins from Potsdam Hbf and the Museum on Brandenburg-Prussian History is close by, ca 3 mins or so...both walkable from the Hbf once you walk across the bridge,

Seeing Potsdam in the Cold War days, only once in August 1987, (on a guided tour from west Berlin, the only way permitted then), I had the distinct feeling that time itself had stopped in 1945. The tour was 95% German, a few foreigners, I was one of them, no audio phones back then.

Posted by
3844 posts

I enjoyed greatly reading your multi-part trip report. I love Berlin and like to hear other people's thoughts on it. It sounds like you had a wonderful time, and you had such a nice diversity of experiences. I like, too, that you devoted so much time to such a small area of Germany. I will say that I really enjoyed the Berggruen Museum, but (1) it was my introduction to Picasso and (2) I had a spectacular guide who spent 3 hours with a friend and me discussing Picasso, Klee, and others. Thanks again for a great report! I look forward to hearing about your future travel!

Posted by
3207 posts

Thanks for your trip report. I'm heading there next year. I'll use this as a reference. I think we'll plop down in Berlin for over 7 days...haven't figured out how long we'll want yet.