Please sign in to post.

First Trip to Paris with pre-teenish children

We just returned from a fantastic first trip to Paris. We spent 6 days and it was wonderful. I will admit that I was apprehensive regarding safety and terrorism, mostly as we were bringing our children. Not enough to consider cancelling but it entered my mind frequently leading up to the trip, affecting my excitement for a place that I've wanted to visit since I was young. I'm sharing as these fears were completely unfounded....I travel frequently around the US and I felt safer in Paris than NYC, Orlando, FL, etc... I truly believe these fears are from over zealous news coverage in the US. Rick's video posting from Paris on facebook the week prior really put me at ease.

We arrived early AM, leaving Boston at 8PM. My 10 year old slept the entire flight, my husband and 13 year not so much. I had taken melatonin and slept most of the flight. We had heard from family that the immigration line at CDG was long...that description didn't even touch the surface.. The line snaked around the entire arrival terminal area.. people were taking pictures it was so crazy. 2 hour line. This was tough after a long flight and our internal clocks were at 2AM.

We took taxi to our hotel ...very easy process. Queue outside of baggage area.. 55 euros. My husband and cab driver attempted to communicate,.. It was entertaining but they were able to talk "futbol" We stayed at a cute boutiquey hotel, between Champs Elysees and Eiffel Tower, near Seine. Lovely area, easy to walk along Seine to see everything we wanted to see. Our room was ready upon arrival, and as it was raining we decided to nap for an hour or so... Upon waking we set out to explore Rue Cler area for a late lunch, ....walked to take pictures at Eiffel tower prior to our skip the line summit tour at 4:30.

Next day, it was raining again. I had planned a lot for this day but due to the rain mostly just did some shopping at Gallerie purchased a Paris museum pass and visited the Louvre. The shorter lines having the pass were alone worth the value to us. Children under 18 are free. Crowds were very manageable... It had stopped raining later in the afternoon. Stopped at outdoor cafe for a drink in Jardin de Tuillieres. Walked slowly back along the Seine, enjoying the sun.. and had pizza, ham/cheese baquette at cafe type place on Seine. Kids enjoyed play structures along the walk..watching some skateboards doing tricks. Really enjoyable relaxed atmosphere. many many folks with wine, baguettes..just enjoying life.

Day 3 (Sunday) was pre-booked tour of Versailles. We did afternoon tour leaving 12:45. We decided to try to see the Orsay Museum prior as it was on our way to the tour company...completely against Rick's advice. 1st Sunday of every month museums are free.. Line was very long and very crowded. The tour of Versailles was wonderful. It was very crowded, our tour guide took us to the gardens first. The fountains were running and I couldn't imagine going when they weren't... absolutely beautiful. The tour of the palace was overly crowded..so much so I was ready to leave half way thru. Our guide actually said it was worse earlier in the day. The garden tour/fountains made up for it however..

Day 4 Pre-booked Lunch Cruise. Wonderful. Fantastic food, music. Kids actually said it was their favorite activity. (this may be because they weren't walking.. we logged an average of 10 miles a day) The afternoon was spent walking the Champs Elysees from Place du Concorde to just short of Arc de Troimphe Was disappointed the stores were mostly US chains ... Gap etc... Husband enjoyed taking a picture in the model F1 car at Renault. Long lines for Louis Vuitton, Laduree.

Day 5. Notre Dame, Ricks Historic Paris Walk. We had a taxi drop us at Notre Dame as the kids revolted at the idea of walking from hotel. Nice lunch in Latin Qtr. Walked back along Seine.

Posted by
681 posts

Your time in Paris sounds wonderful. What tour guide for Versailles did you use? Was it worth going later in the day?

Posted by
9 posts

We stayed at the Hotel Chambiges Elysees.. of course since it was my first visit to Paris I can't compare to any other paris hotel..but we needed a room for 4 which was difficult to find for a reasonable price. This was a nice suite, separate bedroom with pull out in living room for kids. It included breakfast. The staff were very pleasant and helpful. The location was very nice. quiet streets, next street over from avenue Montaigne and a few streets over from Pont de L'Alma on Seine.

Our tour of Versailles was with Pariscityvision. It was the guided tour with optional fountain show.. I wanted to go when the fountains/music were playing which is only Sunday/Tuesday. As I mentioned the palace was uncomfortably crowded..pushing etc...but our guide said it was worse for their morning tour. When we first arrived she mentioned the music show started at 3:30 in ballroom (one of the gardens) and she brought right there.. I don't know if the musical portion is only at certain times during the day. We arrived there at 2:45/3 and left at 6PM. I thought it was sufficient time.. Queens apartments were undergoing renovations

Posted by
11294 posts

Thanks for this great report! Which Lunch Cruise did you take?

Posted by
9 posts

It was the Bateaux Parisien one.. near Eiffel Tower. Food was incredible and they had wonderful musicians.