Please sign in to post.

Fantastic Firenze Experiences - June 25, 2019

Just a few notes from our experiences today that should be headed "Rick Was Right!". What great advice to consider the Firenze card from a time saver standpoint. We went to the Tourist Office on Cavour, as Rick recommends, to purchase it - there was no line. Ms. Sylvia Brucato explained ALL our options, checked that my niece was 18 because that would mean she didn't need her own card, highlighted the places opened in the evenings to maximize our visit. We walked from there 2 blocks to the My Accademia Bookstore to request a time entry for the Accademia. A very large sign on the ticket windows said 'No tickets today.' The line to enter the Accademia was down the block and around the corner! I showed the Firenze pass and asked for a time, hoping for the next 2 days....and was given two tickets for 5 minutes from then. We walked straight in to the Accademia. Amazed and delighted.
We celebrated with lunch at Pasta Fresca in the Mercato: feather light gnocchi and ricotta pear ravioli. Oh yum. It's a great place for lunch.
At about 5:30pm we went to the Uffizi to request a time to enter tomorrow. There was no line there. The staff invited us to enter - the museum is opened until 10pm. So we went directly into our second priority site with plenty of time to enjoy it. IMHO that Firenze pass already paid for itself.
We celebrated with gelati at Vivoli. The best gelati in Florence? Or maybe the world?
Our late dinner at Trattoria Accadi on Borgo Pinti was superb, and extremely inexpensive. My niece and I plan to return tomorrow night - it was that good! Thank you, Rick Steves and this travel forum for such good advice!

Posted by
6289 posts

Thanks, Patty. We're hoping to get back to Florence next year. I'm bookmarking this post.

Posted by
3819 posts

Yes, I am also book marking, haven’t made it to Florence, yet.

Posted by
15797 posts

Glad you had such a wonderful day! Florence is great, eh? A couple of comments on this for the others?

There was no line there. The staff invited us to enter - the museum is
opened until 10pm

If there truly is no line, then the Firenzecard is of no advantage. The museum is also only open late this season on Tuesdays from 4th June to 24th September (and not on 8/13).

https://www.uffizi.it/en/notices/uffizi-open-during-summer-evenings-2019

Without the card, buying advance, adult, timed-entry tickets (reservations are now mandatory even WITH the card although they are free) would cost 24 euro for Uffizi and 16 for the Accademia; not even half the 85-euro cost of the Firenzecard. So whether it pays for itself depends on how many attractions you use it for. :O)

Some info in this RS article (linked below) and most likely in the 2018/2019 guidebooks about the card is out of date so reference the FAQ page of the Firenzecard website for most current details.

https://www.ricksteves.com/watch-read-listen/read/articles/making-museum-reservations-in-florence

http://firenzecard.it/index.php?lang=en

Posted by
5579 posts

Your post was helpful. I have been evaluating a purchase of the card. From the website and my innkeeper, it sounds like the details of the card were recently changed and there are some new benefits to having one. I decided that since it would appear that we would come close to a break even on the card, we will buy it for the convenience. I am going to purchase it in advance and then my innkeeper will call to get us reservations for the Uffizi and the Accademia. I am not sure I'm going to do the Duomo Dome (likely will do the Palazzo Vecchio tower), but with the pass, I read that one can go to the Duomo and make an appointment to climb without waiting in line. One thing I like about some of these city cards (like the Paris MUSEUM Pass) is that it does give you the ability to poke into a place and spend a short time or even leave if a site isn't to your liking. Also, when comparing a purchase of the Firenze card to the purchase of individual tickets, don't forget any additional charges for reservations. The Firenze card allows no charge reservations for the Accademia and Uffizi.

In addition to the Accademia and the Uffizi, it sounds like many go to the Duomo, with those three, a Firenze card holder is about 2/3 of the way to the cost of the card without going anywhere else.

Posted by
15797 posts

In addition to the Accademia and the Uffizi, it sounds like many go to
the Duomo, with those three, a Firenze card holder is about 2/3 of the
way to the cost of the card without going anywhere else.

True but we've also seen people with little time in Florence thinking buying it will get them to the front of the line at the Accademia/Uffizi any day, any time so they'll get it just for that, just for those two museums. The card is actually a bit less convenient since those two started requiring timed-entry reservations, and not everyone is aware of that change.

Anyway, I'm watching for forum feedback on it how it's working for people who didn't call in advance reservations. It appears a couple of posters have gotten lucky making those on the spot and being able to get in on the same day without their bookings ending up at inconvenient times but I'd be interested to know if that's normally the case.

I read that one can go to the Duomo and make an appointment to climb
without waiting in line.

The issue with this is Firenzecard holders reporting all available times for the dome being already filled for the days they are visiting the city. Using the card, you are not allowed to make a reservation until you are in Florence, and by that time all the slots for the next few days may very well be booked. The card gives you less priority than people buying tickets from the Duomo's own website: they can make that reservation online in advance. From the card's FAQs:

"PLEASE NOTE: THE ACCESS TO CUPOLA IS NOT GUARANTEED AND THE RESERVATION IS COMPULSORY
If you want to use your Firenzecard, you can’t book the Cupola climb ahead of time online, but you have to make your reservation once you are in Florence at the ticket office in piazza San Giovanni 7, after the collection of the Grande museo del Duomo free ticket. The reservation can be made for the day you find availability...."

I'm not advising against the pass if the math and reduced convenience work! It's more of a head's up for folks who might be using outdated info and who might experience an unwelcome surprise. That would be sad. :O( Arg, the Roma Pass is experiencing its own recent headaches!

Posted by
5579 posts

Kathy, I was just pointing out that it seems to me that people go to more than just the Accademia and the Uffizi, and that's why it is important for people to research their travels and get their information from official websites and/or people located in Florence or whatever the city might be. It is the similar to the Swiss Travel Pass, the Paris Museum Pass, etc., it just depends precisely on the choices a particular traveler might make. I'm not specifically advocating for the Firenze Pass, it wasn't even a clear cut decision for me and I usually visit many museums and churches in cities I visit. I'm just saying the pass has been changed and people need to make their own decision. There is even info on the Firenze Card website under FAQs, that helps people evaluate whether to buy the card. There are benefits to the card beyond the financial aspect, but people need to decide how they will handle their travels themselves.

I was well aware that Firenze card holders are not guaranteed a priority spot to the Duomo dome. There is more to the Duomo than the dome.

As far, as people showing up and expecting to get a time for the Uffizi or Accademia, depending on time of year that they visit, they might want to do more research on the Firenze card and in Florence in general. It is months before my trip. I've done my research, and I have picked my times for entrance.

Posted by
15797 posts

I was well aware that Firenze card holders are not guaranteed a
priority spot to the Duomo dome. There is more to the Duomo than the
dome.

Very sorry if there was some confusion! My comment about card holders sadly finding dome slots fully booked was in response to your previous comment here:

....but with the pass, I read that one can go to the Duomo and make an
appointment to climb without waiting in line.

It wasn't clear that you were aware that while you can TRY to make that appointment, that doesn't mean you'll be able to do so if all slots are filled. That darn dome climb is a hot ticket - a must-do for oodles of folks! - so potentially missing out if using the pass might be a pretty big deal for them. Hate to see anyone disappointed if that can be avoided? :O)