Please sign in to post.

Family Trip Report - London, Paris & Amsterdam July 2016 PARIS DAY 3

Paris Day 3 7/10

I had booked another tour with City Wonders for this morning - "Louvre Highlights Tour". If it was just my husband & I traveling, we probably would have booked fewer tours & used guidebooks or RS audio tours for various sights. With the kids, a live guide worked better. We really enjoyed every guide we had - not a dud in the whole bunch! I had determined that we could walk to the Louvre from our hotel. I was still hesitant to use the Paris Metro system. Even though we had no problems in London, the thought of navigating the Metro w/o knowing hardly any French was daunting to me! My son, upon learning that we would be walking, refused to go. I think by this point he'd had enough of traveling & the close quarters in the hotel room with his sister had taken its toll. I was upset of course, but realized that forcing him to go would only make the day miserable for the rest of us. Some time apart would be good for all of us & the tour was only 3 hours long. We left him in the hotel, he could go down to the breakfast buffet, but otherwise we requested that he stay in the hotel.

The walk to the Louvre was pretty long - probably took us about 35-40 minutes, but it was another beautiful sunny day & not hot yet. We made it to the meeting point early & spotted our guide Lillya from the Notre Dame tour yesterday. We chatted with her for a few minutes, but she would not be our guide today, she had a private tour booked. Our guide was Susan, who had grown up in Paris. Our group was about 15. We were set up with headsets & followed Susan into the Louvre. The entrance we went in took us past the old stone walls. Susan stopped to show us a heart that had been carved into the stone long ago. The tour seemed to take a while to get started. We started with a restroom break & purchasing water, if needed. With the lines for the restrooms, it seemed to take forever before the group was all together again & ready to go.

We started with Greek sculpture and went on from there. The headsets were great since we could listen to Susan, but not have to stick right by her side. We did have to pay attention to when she was moving on since it would be easy to lose her in the crowds. Susan took us to the famous highlights - Venus de Milo, Winged Victory, Mona Lisa, but took us by other artwork as well, always with interesting information. My husband & I said "we can't believe we're really seeing these things in person!". The Mona Lisa, of course, had huge crowds in front of her. My husband & I didn't fight the crowds to get closer, but daughter is small, so she made her way through the crowd & got some pictures for us. By the end of the 3 hours, we really felt we had seen what we wanted to see. It would have been very overwhelming to do this w/o a guide on our 1st time. If we get there again, I wouldn't feel the need for a guide, but would wander around on our own. Around 12:30 we said goodbye to Susan. Some of the group stayed in the Louvre to continue looking around, but we were hungry & had had enough art for the time.

Posted by
85 posts

Paris Day 3 7/10 continued:

My husband & I commented to each other upon leaving the Louvre (& our daughter agreed) that our son would not have enjoyed this tour. So, in the end, we & he probably had a better time with his refusing to go. We went past the book sellers again & daughter found her painting. It is quite large, but it was rolled up & made it home fine in her luggage. Lunch was next. We texted son to see if we should collect him for lunch or bring him something. He said to bring something, so we looked for a good restaurant on the way to the hotel. Found a little café, sat on the patio & ordered 3 course lunch specials. Daughter & I had the best onion soup of the trip! Husband & I had BBQ beef short rib - very tasty. Daughter had spaghetti that she enjoyed as well. We picked up a take out pizza from our favorite Italian restaurant near the hotel for son. Now, time for a nap!

This was the day husband & I wanted to take a Seine boat cruise. Neither kid wanted to go (hey, lets go to Paris & stay in the hotel room!) So unexpectedly, we would go on a romantic cruise down the Seine alone (if you ignored all the other tourists on the boat!) The front desk attendant gave us a recommendation for a cruise, but it was in a covered boat. The rack in the lobby had a brochure for another cruise that had an open top, but he said there was no English commentary on that one. We started walking, aiming for the open top cruise whether it was in English or not. We slowly walked to the dock to purchase our tickets, enjoying being in Paris. We found out when buying our tickets that commentary would be in French and English - perfect. We had a short wait until the next cruise left, so we just got in line. We wanted seats on the upper deck if possible. There were plenty of open seats, so everyone could enjoy the cruise w/o being crowded together. It was cool on the water, glad we had our jackets. We just relaxed, taking pictures & listening to the commentary. We were excited to see the Eiffel Tower - so far we had only seen it from a distance & wouldn't get to go up in it for a few more days. We were amazed at how beautiful the ironwork was! We'd seen pictures, but always of the entire Tower, not noticing the ironwork itself.

We really enjoyed our cruise. After a leisurely walk back to the hotel, we collected the kids & went out for dinner, then back to the hotel for some TV & bed.

Tomorrow my daughter would get to do her request for the trip.

Posted by
11507 posts

Really enjoying your trip report.. looking forward to rest of it.

Perhaps son needed to leave the hotel on his own.. I would have been a bit choked with all his room time myself.. and yes, I took my son when he was 13 , and I let him go down the street alone .. we needed some separate time, and he needed to feel the pulse of the city on his own. You were in a very safe area too.

Posted by
11613 posts

This is a great series of reports! I can't wait to find out what your daughter chose for her day.

Zoe.

Posted by
85 posts

Hi Pat: I agree, probably too much hotel time that day. He seems to be at the age where he could spend hours just lying around. I would have felt more comfortable letting him wander around if we were at least at the hotel. I'm not quite ready for him out on his own in a big city yet!

Hi Zoe: Thanks! I'm enjoying writing this. I really need another trip to plan once I'm done. Winter's coming to Buffalo soon, I need something to take my mind off it!

Posted by
85 posts

Paris Day 3 7/10 continued:

This was the day of the finals for the Euro Cup (soccer) France vs. Portugal. Son had tried finding it on TV, but with no luck. We could see & hear from our balconies the crowds at the cafe across the street watching the game. The people spilled out into the side street & completely blocked car traffic. He & his dad decided to go out to get something more to eat & ended up at a kabob restaurant around the corner from the hotel. They ended up staying there after they ate, watching the game with restaurant customers & others that just came by to watch. It was pretty exciting being in the host country & watching them play in the finals. Would have been even better if they'd won! As soon as the game was over they headed back to the hotel, then it was lights out.

Son really wants to see a few soccer games on our next trip. I don't think they play in the summer though & until he starts college in a few years, that's the only time we can make a trip this long.