Please sign in to post.

Family Trip Report - London, Paris & Amsterdam July 2016 PARIS DAY 2

Paris Day 2 7/9

We were up & out of the hotel early today. Today was our Paris food tour! I had booked "Taste of the Marais" with Paris by Mouth. I thought we could walk to the meeting point from our hotel. It was a perfect morning & it took about 40 minutes to get to the meeting point. Our guide was Catherine, a young woman from the U.S. but now living in Paris. There were 3 other ladies on the tour - 2 from the U.S. & 1 from Australia. We would be learning about the history of the Marais, visiting various shops, trying some of the items & Catherine would be purchasing items that we would eat later. Our 1st stop was a boulangerie of course! Catherine talked about how to find a great boulangerie & the history of the one we stopped at. She purchased baguettes for later & croissants to eat now. Best croissants ever! My husband & I made the 40 min. walk again later in the week for more of these, so worth it! The next stop was cheese. We learned about various kinds of cheese & Catherine purchased seven different kinds to eat later. Next was learning about pates & 2 were purchased for later. We made our way to the Marche des Enfants Rouges. Catherine took us around showing us the various stands. Our destination was a wine shop in the market. Catherine had arranged that we would stop here, try several wines & eat the items purchased throughout the morning. 2 small tables were set up for us & we proceeded to eat (& drink!) Catherine set up the cheeses & pates on small trays and we passed them around trying everything, along with the baguettes. This was a lot of fun & we had very friendly tour mates! There was plenty to eat, with my son finishing up some of the cheeses once no one could eat any more. Proud of both kids as they tried different things today.

We were pretty full, but had one last stop - A chocolate shop! Catherine took us to the most delicious place! We sampled chocolates (some very interesting flavors), fruit jellies (best I've ever tasted!) & wonderful caramels! Good thing this was the last stop, as I think everyone on the tour purchased items here. We said goodbye to Catherine & waddled back to the hotel.

We had time for a brief rest before our late afternoon plans.

Posted by
85 posts

Paris Day 2 7/9 continued:

I had booked a City Wonders tour "Ile de la Cite, Notre Dame & Towers". At 4:45, we met our guide at the Cite Metro stop not far from Notre Dame. I think there were about 15 total on this tour. Our guide, Lillya, was an American who'd married a Frenchman, & now made her home in Paris. First was a tour around the Ile de la Cite, with Lillya giving us lots of interesting history. It was so hot & sunny, but she tried to keep us in the shade when she would stop to talk. I think the tour around the Ile lasted about 45 min. We then lined up to see Notre Dame from the inside. The line was pretty long, stretching back thru the open plaza, but it went quickly. It was hot standing in the sun though, so we purchased bottled water from men selling it to the people in line. Soon we were inside, with Lillya stopping to quietly give us info every so often. A church service was going on right then, so she kept it quiet. Such a beautiful church! This was the only church visited on this trip, so I really appreciated it!

The group had timed tickets to climb the Towers, so we gathered outside near the Tower entrance. We couldn't go in until it was our turn, so we used the time to purchase a gelato from a nearby café & use their restroom. Soon it was our turn, we collected our tickets and said goodbye & thanks to Lillya. She would be leaving us here. We could take as long as we wanted in the Towers.

What a climb! While preparing for this trip at home, I meant to climb the stairs in the parking garage at work everyday to get in shape for this, but never did! I would regret that! We climbed & climbed a small curving stone staircase. At some points I believe we could step off to the side a little bit & let other quicker folks pass. My daughter was getting nervous as she doesn't like heights. Every so often there would be a window to peek out & see how high you were. We finally made it to the belltower & saw the huge bell. Glad it wasn't ringing right then! Daughter determined that she wasn't going any higher. She was pointed to an exit staircase & we would meet her at the bottom when we finished. Husband, son & I kept climbing & finally made it to the top! Perfect view of Paris! It was a sunny, clear day & we could see very far. Husband was excited to see the gargoyles up close - he got some great pictures (I have 2 pinned up on my cubicle walls at work). We walked all around the outside taking lots of pictures & enjoying the view. We probably stayed about 25 minutes, then started the climb back down. Lots easier of course, but by now my legs were shaking & felt like jelly. Found daughter right by the exit gate & we sat on the ground to recover! We watched some street performers (skateboarders making crazy jumps off ramps) while we rested.

It was time to head back to the hotel. Husband & son stopped at a small sandwich stand, but daughter wanted something more than that. We continued on toward the hotel, looking for a place to eat on the way. We made it all the way back and she & I decided to eat at the Italian restaurant on the corner right near the hotel (I know, Italian!). We found the staff very friendly. She ordered eggplant parm & said it was delicious. I ordered a small pizza, very good as well. Son & husband finished off the leftovers later that night. This restaurant was so good, we would eat here 2 more times.

Off to bed as we are headed to the Louvre tomorrow!

Posted by
1321 posts

Tina, I have been thoroughly enjoying your family trip report. Especially interested in the Paris portion since my granddaughter and I will be there for a week in April. Keep up the interesting posts. Wonderful!

Linda

Posted by
85 posts

Thanks, Linda! You and your granddaughter will have a wonderful time! Is it your/her 1st time?

Posted by
1321 posts

This trip will be granddaughters first European trip so I will be very cognizant of any jet lag issues. She has traveled to Mexico and Hawaii several times. Obviously flights to Europe will be quite a bit longer than she is used to.

As far as me, I visited Paris very briefly 2 1/2 days) to meet up with a friend from Chicago. It was the tail end of my trip to Rome and Southern Italy. Lots of fun then but I just scratched the surface in Paris.

Looking forward to more of your report.

Linda