Please sign in to post.

Family Trip Report - London, Paris & Amsterdam July 2016 LONDON DAY 6

Day 6 7/7

We had texts from our daughter letting us know she had made her flight from Buffalo to Boston w/no problems. We were a little worried about this as she was literally going from her exam to the airport. So if the exam started late or ran late for any reason, there could be a problem making her flight.

About 6:00 am my cell phone rang, it was our daughter in tears (what a way to scare me!). She was in Reykjavik airport & found out that her plane to London would be delayed. Instead of about 1 1/2 hr. layover, it would be more like 3-4 hours. After the stress of her exam & flying on her own, she just wanted to get on that final flight & get to London. After talking a bit, she calmed down. We advised she just find a bench near her gate, curl up (while hanging on tight to her backpack containing her passport & money!) and try to get a little sleep.

We expected her to arrive at the apartment around 2:00 & had made arrangement with Blackberry Car Service to pick her up at the airport. As soon as I heard from her, I sent them an email letting them know about the delay & also called and left a voice mail. They called me back once they received the message & assured me they would keep track of her flight & be there when she arrived.

Posted by
85 posts

Day 6 7/6 continued:

We hadn't planned to do anything today that would be too involved since we needed to be at the apartment to meet our daughter, although much later now than originally planned. My husband & son would be doing the Chelsea Soccer Stadium Tour. I sent them off on their own with directions for the Tube. My son enjoyed this very much. When I asked him tonight what his favorite thing in London was, his answer was the stadium tour (& the bagel w/salt beef!).

I walked a short distance from the apartment to the Victoria & Albert Museum. What a treat to walk around all by myself! No bored sighs from my son! I was able to take my time, reading all the descriptions. I loved being able to look at the stained glass windows close up. I was using my iphone for pictures & it started acting up, saying my memory was full. I didn't have many pictures on it, so I don't know what the problem was. I didn't get as many pictures here as I would have liked. My husband texted me that they were on their way back, so I headed up to look at the jewelry displays before heading out. I could have spent at least an hour in the jewelry room alone!

Our daughter had texted earlier when she was boarding the plane, so we knew she was on her way. Back at the apartment, we rested & watched some TV. The apartment came with access to private garden, just for our block of apartments & the one behind it. It was a beautiful day, so I took my kindle to a bench under a tree & spent quite a while out there relaxing and reading.

Posted by
85 posts

Day 6 continued:

We finally received the text we were waiting for - our daughter was on her way to the apartment! I would highly recommend Blackberry Cars. They kept track of her flight thru all the delays (there were additional changes by IcelandAir, but at least not by too much) & the driver was waiting for her as she exited customs. On the way , she texted regarding what she wanted to do on her 1st night in London - get her nails done. She'd found 3 salons near the apartment, hoping 1 would be able to take her. I think she arrived right about 6:00 pm, so after catching up on what we'd been doing for the past several days, she & I headed out to find a nail salon. My husband decided to walk back to Hyde Park. Neither activity appealed to our son, so he stayed home. The Euro Cup was taking place during our trip, so he usually found a soccer game to watch.

The 2nd salon we tried could take her after a short wait, so I read magazines while she got her nails done. She said the price was comparable to what she pays at home & it lasted much longer. We texted my husband when we were leaving the salon & he started heading back from the park. We met at the apartment, collected our son & headed out to eat. We chose a tapas place near the S. Kensington Station.

We enjoyed tapas when in Barcelona, but we don't have a tapas place in Buffalo yet, so we wanted to get some while we could! The food was good. We ordered our favorite things & a few new items.

Right after dinner it was back to the apartment to bed. We had a packed day for our last day in London.