Please sign in to post.

Edinburgh, Scotland

Hi everyone! This is the first time I've posted but I've been lurking and reading for a while.

I recently attended a conference in Edinburgh and my husband and daughter (25 yr old) tagged along. We stayed in an apartment so we could cook some of our meals and have an extra bit of space. (http://www.10clarendoncrescent.co.uk/) The owner was very nice and helpful and even let us check in early so we didn't have to carry around our luggage the first day. I found that I really liked an extended stay in one area (10 days) so that we really got to know the neighborhood and city. While I want to go back and see more of Scotland, namely the Highlands and islands, I'm happy that we had a home base on this trip.

• Edinburgh Castle in the rain, which only added to the atmosphere. There was a lot to read and see--a must do.
  • National Museum of Scotland was amazing! A huge number of exhibits, ranging from modern science to ancient peoples. We spent a full day there and my husband and daughter went back for a second day while I was conferencing.
  • Rabbie's tours: Hadrian's Wall (husband and daughter), Highlands and Loch Ness (husband and daughter), Stirling Castle and Loch Lomond (all of us.) I got good reports on the first two and saw beautiful pictures. They especially liked the driver on the Hadrian's Wall tour. The buses are very small (16 people) and they can navigate the smaller roads so we saw more of the countryside. But bus tours are somewhat limited; we chose them because parking a rental in Edinburgh was all but impossible.
  • Stirling Castle was as fabulous as Edinburgh Castle. It was a bit more like a museum and looked like the rooms had been updated in modern times, but the exhibits and views were fabulous. I was looking forward to the castles most of all and they didn't disappoint me.
  • Old Town, Edinburgh was mostly just shopping and many of the shops had the same trinkets. Whisky was more expensive there and we found better prices in the neighborhood. However, I would recommend going into some of the closes (little side paths) to see some little green spaces and older buildings.
  • Lock Lomond was meh, but I think we didn't park in the best location for viewing. Mostly we just saw a harbor with boats.
  • Luss Highland Games was very small-town and fun. My daughter especially wanted to see this--men in kilts throwing heavy things. It rained off and on all day, again adding to the atmosphere.
  • Arthur's Seat was definitely worth the climb. It was crowded and I wouldn't do it in the rain; it seems like the rocks at the top would be very slick. We went the "short cut," which was straight up if you ask me, but took less than 30 minutes.
  • Various parks--Edinburgh was filled with beautiful green spaces everywhere. Calton Hill had great monuments and views of the city and Arthur's Seat.
  • Dean Village. There was a park along the Water of Leith that was the most beautiful, peaceful place. It wasn't crowded at all. We walked this the last afternoon of our trip and it was a wonderful way to close out our visit.

I enjoyed the food much more than I expected. The beef was fabulous and the vegetables were very fresh. I liked the pies--they had puff pastry instead of piecrust like we have in the US. I was so excited I had to share my experiences! Thanks for reading.

Posted by
1384 posts

Nice report. Edinburgh is attached to my London trip in 2018, planning on staying 3 nights there. Did your husband & daughter and or you do any of the Hop On Hop Off tours or just mainly walked around Edinburgh city?

Posted by
13 posts

We didn't use any buses in town but did a lot of walking! Up to 10-15 miles/day. Which reminds me--sneakers or hiking shoes seem best for the cobblestones and hills there. I only wore my spare shoes (Alegria--usually super comfortable) for a short walk and wore my sneakers the rest of the time.

Posted by
64 posts

Thanks for your report. We are going into Edinburgh for a few days prior to meeting our tour group so the information you provided is much appreciated!

Posted by
106 posts

Thanks for your report. I am going on the RS tour in September!!

Posted by
41 posts

This message is in response to brushtim's question about the Hop on Hop Off tours. I know it has been quite a while since the question was posed.
--> We did the HOHO tour on our first day in Edinburgh, just to get the lay of the land, then walked the rest of the time. It was very helpful for a quick overview of the places we might want to visit in the following days. Generally if you purchase the ticket later in the day it is good for 24 hours, which is convenient. There are a couple different companies with different colored buses. I think there was a red one and a lime green one. I do not recall which one we did, but there was a slight difference in where they visited. We took the one that visited the old town and the new town. It was maybe two hours total time if you didn't get off at all (maybe less). An important point that we were lucky to discover is that not all the buses have a live person giving the tour, but instead use recordings. We waited for the live version, which is more fun and interactive, PLUS you get to listen to their wonderful accent! We did not book in advance. It was easy to just buy a ticket at the time we wanted to go.

Posted by
703 posts

Sounds like you had a great trip. My husband and I will be visiting Edinburgh for the first time in May. We are also staying in an apartment. Hoping to do some of the same things you did. Thanks for the great report.