Please sign in to post.

Car Rentals In Ireland

Your Tips For Booking A Rental Car, in your July 2nd E-mail/July Travel News, mentioned SIXT as a good source. That was not our experience. I had booked a VW Passat with SIXT through our airline's (AirTransat) website, to be picked up at their Dublin Airport facility on June 8th (and of course my CA$MasterCard was billed within minutes of completing the booking). Before we left home (London, Ontario, Canada), we were speaking with people who had just returned from Ireland and when they learned that our Ireland car rental was with SIXT, they urged that we cancel and use anyone else, because when they arrived at SIXT's Dublin airport desk, SIXT refused to accept their Collision Damage Waiver insurance coverage provided by their CA$ MasterCard, instead offering their own CDW insurance for over CA$30/day, insisting that Ireland's laws allowed them to pursue this policy.

So I went to BMO MasterCard and got their whole credit card terms & conditions printed out to take with me and went to Allianz and was assured that their coverage was more than adequate and in fact better than what SIXT offered and printed off their terms & conditions also. So on June 8th, after almost completely answering all SIXT's questions, for entry into their computer, and upgrading cars in the process, when we got to the CDW fields, I declined their coverage (as per Allianz's instructions) and offered all the MasterCard and Allianz materials that I'd brought with me for this purpose, but after a cursory look at these documents, they said that I need to show them where these materials specifically provided that they applied in Ireland and/or produce a situation-specific letter from Allianz that confirmed that their coverage applied in Ireland....and I responded that their coverage applies everywhere in THE WORLD, but they refused to proceed. And refused access to their one only phone to contact CarTrawler (the car broker who'd booked with them).

So I went across the aisle to Avis, who called CarTrawler, who told me that my MasterCard coverage was absolutely in order and asked to speak to SIXT, but they refused to walk the 40' across to Avis to take the call and refused to call CarTrawler with the number provided to me. So I told SIXT that I would not proceed further with them and they shrugged and said that they had not invoiced anyone and would not, because the contract had not been completed. So after spending almost two hours from time of arrival to time of leaving the SIXT desk, I returned to Avis and within 15 minutes, had completed the agreement for a better car at a better price and we went on our way. So this appears to be a scam to exploit the unwary and I hope that you will (a) not further recommend SIXT and (b) post a caution about them on your website. I am now awaiting response from CarTrawler, to my claim for a refund....and their auto response says to check with them again if I haven't heard further in 5 - 6 weeks. SUCH FUN!!

Posted by
8141 posts

Sounds as if you need to ask your credit card company to reverse any transaction for Sixt. I stick with AutoEurope or Hertz Corp. as I know what to expect.

There are some European big name rental operations that are franchised--and you're not dealing with the same company as in the U.S. or other countries. Some operate in an unsatisfactory manner.
Many people think that their credit card insures their rental vehicles. But they are secondary to your personal auto insurance back home. Have an accident, and they'll first go back on your own insurance for coverage. The credit card insurance would only come into force if your primary carrier refuses to pay or if you're not covered in that specific country.

Posted by
16893 posts

It is apparently not impossible to use credit card coverage for CDW in Ireland, but it's difficult with many companies. Rick's car rental advice for years has said "If you’re renting in either Ireland or Italy you’ll have little choice but to buy the company’s CDW." See also http://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/transportation/car-rental-cdw or p. 541 in the Ireland book. Bringing the documentation with you was a wise move and I'm glad to hear that it worked with Avis.

I will be renting a car in Dublin to drive throughout the Republic of Ireland visiting sights highlighted in Rick Steves' videos and in his book on Ireland. There will be 5 adults with carry-on luggage. Could anyone suggest what kind of car would be best and which rental company provided a good experience? We will not need a car in Dublin. Where is the best place to pick up the car?
Bonnie

I will be renting a car in Dublin to drive throughout the Republic of Ireland visiting sights highlighted in Rick Steves' videos and in his book on Ireland. There will be 5 adults with carry-on luggage. Could anyone suggest what kind of car would be best and which rental company provided a good experience? We will not need a car in Dublin. Where is the best place to pick up the car?
Bonnie