Please sign in to post.

Budapest late August early September 2012

Budapest: 2 hour coach train ride from Vienna very pleasant. Another apartment stay at Izabella Apartments in Izabella street off Andrassy near the House of Terror Museum - highly recommend, great English speaking staff who are helpful, free laundry machines in basement, terrific location, spacious apt, new, quiet, food markets nearby. Budapest was our shortest stay of 3 days; lovely walking city and we didn't feel the need to do much else than to do lots of walking and soaking up the atmosphere; took the funicular up to Castle Hill for the big view; walked along the Danube on the Pest side to the Great Market and bought foods - go down to the basement level and see fish in tanks and varieties of pickled peppers; excellent Metro system like Vienna but note that elevators/escalators not available in the underground (Vienna and Prague yes); bought our train tickets to Prague at the MAV office as recommended by Rick; one of our visiting days was a Sunday so beware that almost everything of a practical nature is CLOSED; we loved the quiet of the Sunday, walked to Heroes' Square to the Szechenyi Baths - highly recommend - read Rick's instructions for how to get tickets, cabins, need cash for towels and DEPOSIT, etc and don't miss the mineral baths; wandered around the enormous park.

Posted by
693 posts

Naomi, sounds like a really nice, leisurely visit. I especially liked that you didn't feel the need to cram every tourist sight/site into it. Is encouraging me to make it an excursion from Vienna next year.

Posted by
12 posts

Dear Anna, Happy next year's travels to you and if it's a summer time visit, I highly recommend a nighttime big screen movie nite in Vienna and a Heuriger (garden vineyard restaurant) visit. I posted comments on both under "Vienna."
Kindly.