Please sign in to post.

Brussels

We are going to be in Paris and my husband REALLY wants to take a day trip into Brussels. I realize it is not a tourist destination like Bruges (which we LOVE) and Ghent and that some of the other posts about Brussels were very negative. However, we want to make the most of the one day we will be there. Other than the Grand Place what are the best sites within relatively easy walking distance from there? How long would it take us to walk to the Royal Palace, the Brussels Cathedral and the Galeries St. Hubert? Are all three doable in one day? We will be going in October so daylight is a bit shorter then.
We will, of course, try a waffle, Belgium chocolates and Belgium beer (not all at once!) Any suggestions for a place to eat a decent lunch would be a bonus.
Thanks for the help!

Posted by
352 posts

I love Brussels! It's well worth a day trip. Here is my humble opinion for a possible itinerary. I would leave Paris fairly early to arrive before 10 am.
Using the high speed train from Paris, you will arrive at Gare du Midi. Transfer there to for a short trip to Gare Centrale (fare probably included in your ticket). The cathedral and the royal palace are both close by, up on the hill. I would do both of those first, then walk down towards the Grand Place and Galeries St. Hubert. While you are on the hill, check out the Musee des Instruments in a beautiful Horta designed art deco building just around the corner from the palace. The cafe on top has a lovely view over the city.
Once you are down in the Grand Place area, if it's nice weather and you want to sit on the Grand Place, I would recommend the Roy d'Espagnne restaurant. Check out Maison Dandoy right around the corner for the world's best cookies! If it's raining, try the Tavern du Passage restaurant in the Galeries St. Hubert. Both of these restaurants are reputable choices that offer traditional Belgian specialties and a properly poured beer. You can also buy your chocolate in the Galeries at Mary's or Neuhaus.
Have fun!

Posted by
55 posts

Thank you Jazz + Travels. I will make sure I use that app to get around the city.

Thank you, Linda, for all the wonderful suggestions! We plan to get there early so we can pack in as much as possible. Checked the menu at the restaurants and they both look appealing. Your proposed itinerary sounds excellent. Thank you again!

I am so excited about finally getting back to Europe I can hardly contain myself. I may just kiss the pilot when I board the plane! :-)

Posted by
352 posts

I definitely understand your excitement! I am going back for the first time in August, and I feel the same way. Hadn't considered kissing the pilot, but why not?!😁 I'm landing in Brussels and going on to visit friends in Kortrijk. However I will be making a small detour first to sit on the Grand Place at the Roy d'Espagnne, have a beer and a mushroom toast, and take in the view that never gets old. On second thought, maybe I will actually kiss the waiter there instead of the pilot!

Posted by
55 posts

Linda – kiss them both! 😉 Enjoy your trip, especially the beer and mushroom toast. We are kindred spirits as that is what I plan to order after perusing the menu. I’ve never had it but it sounds yummy and travel presents the opportunity to try new things. Happy travels!

Posted by
2348 posts

mushroom toast? I'm intrigued. I'll have one day in Brussels in September and planning to mainly wander around the central area.

Posted by
417 posts

My husband and I visited Brussels in March of this year and loved it. Linda’s suggested itinerary sounds perfect. The chocolate locations are also good choices. We also visited the Fashion and Lace museum and loved it. We found a merchant that sold lace in the Galeries St. Hubert. His family started their shop when the Galeries opened in the mid 1800’s. He said that there are only a few ladies that still make lace the old fashioned way. We enjoyed our visit. I think Brussels is under-rated. We enjoyed our visit.