Please sign in to post.

Barcelona La Rambla....Oyyyy

I have spent the last 3 nights on La Rambla with another week to go. Beware at night because there are prostitutes on every corner and in the traffic free center. They are bold, brazen and in your face. I usually ignore but the last two times they made physical contact where I actually had to say "Don't touch me pig". Around 3 this morning I witnessed an altercation where a group of them were harassing a strong young man and apparently they took something from him and he went ballistic. They ran away laughing but one ran back and threw a bottle full of water at him. Police were there immediately but nothing was done. They were still there soliciting at 7 this morning. Wow!!!

Posted by
8346 posts

I am sorry for your experience, but even sorrier for the women who have been trapped into this situation. Human trafficking is a worldwide problem. This website often calls the red light district in Amsterdam a "tourist spot." I view it as just more human trafficking supported by unthinking tourists and Rick Steves guidebook.

That "pig" maybe someone's mother, is definitely someone's daughter and I am sorry that she and you had such an unfortunate encounter. You shouldn't be touched or verbally bothered, but either should she.

Posted by
3095 posts

Maybe find someplace else to spend your evenings--and early mornings. Three am seems an odd time to be out and about, unless your are looking for this type of activity.

Posted by
2487 posts

such an unfortunate encounter
Nothing happened with the OP except for that not specified »physical contact«.

Posted by
23245 posts

I doubt if many on this site will be out checking the locals at 3 am but I will keep it in mind the next time I think about it.

Posted by
3095 posts

And Frank, be sure to speak Catalan when you yell at them for touching you!

Posted by
2527 posts

Ahh, we noticed a fair number of prostitutes just off La Rambla and well before 3:00AM.

Posted by
656 posts

Sasha and Frank my hotel (oriente) is located directly on La Ramble and I witnessed this from my balcony because it was so freaking loud.
Also when I was touched it was around 1230-1 am when returning from dinner which is a normal dinner time in Spain. Restaurants on LA Rambla serve until 1am. Sorry I didn't clarify.

Posted by
10176 posts

It's really terrible that this part of Las Ramblas has become disagreeable and aggressive.
I think people have been rough on you here, but it would be clearer to say basta than pig.

I appreciate the heads up as we're staying on Las Ramblas in a few months. If we weren't part of a group,
I'd consider changing areas.

Posted by
4684 posts

Where on the Rambla was this? The port end's always been a bit dodgy.

Posted by
255 posts

We are in Barcelona now and as we approached the Ramblas at 10 in the morning the crowds starting on it were packed. We went a block over to Calle Angels which seems to be a more genteel upscale wide pedestrian walk. Am finding we are crossing the Ramblas if necessary for where we want to go but having done the Ramblas on past trips don't feel the need to go down it. Much cooler areas to go to.