Please sign in to post.

Around the World in 80 days

Another post (about traveling around the world) reminded me that some of you might be interested in this.

A couple of 81 year old ladies from my hometown (one I know and one I don’t) are on their way around the world, using the airline pass. They had planned this for the year they turned 80, to be done in 80 days; but Covid. So they are “still on the run at 81”. :) So far they have been to Antarctica, Easter Island, and I think are now in Spain.
https://aroundtheworldat80.com/f/around-the-world-in-80-days-at-81

Also on FB https://www.facebook.com/SandyandEllie
I think CBS plans to catch up with them in London.

Goals!

Posted by
7277 posts

What a great story - good for them! It’ll be quite something if they’re featured on CBS. So are they traveling by balloon at all, I wonder?

Posted by
3961 posts

Thank you for sharing this inspirational story! I immediately thought of the Around the World in 80 days song. (Perry Como rendition) LOL! I wish them a memorable journey.
Edited to add: Enjoyed this quote from their FB page: “If we were meant to stay in one place we’d have roots instead of feet.” - Rachel Wolchin

Posted by
8091 posts

Pray for them. Going around the world via air would be somewhat difficult to execute as so many things can happen--missed planes, missing luggage, lost room reservations.

My college roommate was in Easter Island yesterday on a Around the World cruise (5 months) out of Florida. On the ship, they're being well provided for. Heck, for $88K a person they should have some luxury trip.

Posted by
2942 posts

88K. Wow. That's an inspirational amount of money. A real treat for the elite. Doubt it's a hardship compared to the vast majority of the world.

Posted by
282 posts

This is great. Good for them! Thanks for sharing their story and those links.

Posted by
3943 posts

A lot of the writing is a little simplistic but they have already had many grand adventures, including being in Syria in 2011, no cash, and needing a quick exit. I am pretty sure a missing suitcase wouldn’t make them blink an eye.

“Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.” Helen Keller

Posted by
3777 posts

Thank you so much for this post and links. I already signed up for updates. How exciting for them! An inspiration.

Posted by
32517 posts

Good post TexasTravelmom.

I was thinking of something like this - although not 80 in 80 - when I saw the other post about somebody going next year.

With a bunch of planning anything is possible

Posted by
484 posts

What a great inspiration.
Here I am, not at 80 nor close to it, being discouraged by the flight hours to India.
After reading this I may have reconsider :-).

Posted by
2700 posts

Thanks for posting this, TTM. This is such a cool trip; good for them! I signed up for their updates too.

Posted by
1077 posts

I love this adventure!!! I hope when I hit 80 years old my spouse says " Honey lets go around the world"!!

I work around so many people who do not see life as an adventure, they just seem so unmotivated to get outside of themselves. One of the reasons I travel is that it keeps life exciting, even when your in France and there's a train strike or in Italy and we're lost in the streets of Venice or running to catch the ferry to Naxos island. Nothing expands your understanding and knowledge like travel!

Posted by
1281 posts

These ladies are so inspiring and I have signed up for their travel updates. Thank you for posting this TexasTravelMom

Posted by
1968 posts

What a great story!

My grandparents were always so adventurous. I really wish they were still around to hear the stories. I remember a few, but it was so long ago. When my grandfather retired, they did a trip around the world for two solid years. To add to that, my aunt who was a paraplegic was with them. This was about 1970 or so. I cannot imagine doing that now with my aunt, much less back then, but they did. I do remember the day they arrived back in the states. They lived in CA, but flew into PDX for some reason and we were the first family to welcome them home. I can still picture what my grandmother was wearing etc. I have several things that they sent us from their travels and they mean so much to me now as an adult where I have the appreciation for what they did.

Posted by
3943 posts

Yeah….. I knew about their extensive Africa travels but the rest had slipped by me till this trip. I am using them as inspiration - and also as back up fuel in case my daughters think I am getting too adventurous! Ha!

I love this quote from a newspaper interview before they left:
“Are you scared?” they have been asked.
Ellie’s answer always is “What would we be scared of? We have lived a full life. If we fall out of a hot-air balloon (in Egypt) or fall off an iceberg in Antarctica, we have two husbands waiting for us in Heaven. So no, we’re not scared.”

I want to live the rest of my life, not as a dare-devil, but with no regrets for things I wish I had done. And in the belief that, by and large, people are good everywhere.

Posted by
185 posts

Thank you for posting. I love this. What an inspiration! Can't wait to read about the rest of their travels.

Posted by
3943 posts

And I am seeing more updates on their Facebook page than blog posts, in case that works for anyone.

Posted by
269 posts

What fun! Turning 75 next summer, I've started re-thinking our celebratory trip... Thank you for sharing this delightful story about two wonderful and inspiring adventurers.

Posted by
269 posts

So endearing. Love the part where they are showing off their double knee replacements! Traveling is the only reason why I will put myself through the ordeal and these two ladies make a good case for signing up. Thanks again for the update.

Posted by
6228 posts

I'm checking out their FB page - thanks! Such a cool idea! I hope I'm able to do that when I turn 80!

Posted by
9 posts

That's a really great (and ambitious) idea. Glad they're documenting it all. I'd love to do something like that one day.

Posted by
483 posts

Somewhere, Charles Kuralt is depressed that he did not live to see this.

Posted by
316 posts

Great post, thank you!

I was just looking at their blog page and photos and unexpectedly got a bit emotional while looking at it. What an adventure!

What an inspiration! New bucket list item for me! Loved this.