Please sign in to post.

Travel to Ireland

We are starting research for trip to Ireland in May 2013. Any suggestions, recommendations on your favorites? We loved the suggestions when we planned our last trip to England on where to stay and where to visit

Posted by
1265 posts

Sara - You'd be better off posting this on To the North - Britain, Ireland, Scandinavia. Happy Travels

Posted by
3 posts

We did the Rick Steves' tour last fall, but stayed a few days in Dublin first. We signed up for the Dublin a City of a Thousand Welcomes. This was a free couple of hours with a local person with choice of a free pint at a pub or tea at a nice hotel. We selected the former. Our guide was a hoot and regaled us with stories and gave great ideas on what to do while in Dublin. We also took a day tour out to Newgrange, which is a neolithic burial tomb, which pre-dates the pyramids. The day also included a visit to the Hill of Tara. Our guide was like a walking history book of Ireland. We learned so much, and Newgrange was incredible.
As far as our tour went, we particularly loved the Dingle Peninsula and the town of Kinsale.

Posted by
1010 posts

We just did a Tauck Tour of Ireland last June. It was a 14 day tour, but we added two days at the begining of the trip. We stayed in absolutely awesome places, such as the Ashford Castle. Ireland is so beautiful. We preferred southern Ireland to Belfast and Dublin though.

Posted by
21 posts

You don't say how long you will have but a day in Dublin (2 at the most)is more than enough. Ireland is all about the countryside & the only way to really see it is by car. They drive on the left so WATCH OUT but you will get used to it with time. Bunratty Castle near Shannon has a medivil dinner with entertainment and is worth doing. The Ring of Kerry gets all the hype but the Dingle Penninsula is less commercial and spectacularly beautiful. Go to the Cliffs of Moar if you can and who doesn't need to kiss the Blarney Stone? The stone is at the top of Blarney Castle so be prepared for a climb and narrow stairs.

Posted by
2081 posts

hi, if youre a horsey person, the Irish National Stud is mecca for us horsey people. happy trails.

Posted by
8 posts

Hi Sara- I agree with Joel now that I've seen "to the north." That being said, I'm going to Ireland in Sept-wish it were May! When I was there in the past, my favorite places were Kinsale in county Cork and a small town called Bellina in county Tipperary, right across the river from killaloe, which is in county Clare. It was a very happy place with excellent restaurants. Kinsale has fabulous restaurants, shops and music. Oh and Doolin, and Ennis, and the horseraces....it's all great!!!! Have fun!!!

Posted by
4 posts

Do the loop bike ride around dingle on a good weather day. It was wonderful!