Please sign in to post.

Lucca, Italy

Just returned from a trip through France, Germany & Italy, used all 3 country books, had a good trip. A comment on Lucca, it's a lovely place, have visited there twice. I don't think you give it enough credit, it's a good hub & an excellent place to just slow down for a few days. On both visits I stayed at the local hostel (Frediano), you can't beat it for price & service. It's a former nunnery, has marble floors, lots of room & is very quiet. The staff is most helpful. Also, they now have a wonderful restaurant serving breakfast &
dinner. The dinner was to die for! Look forward to another visit in a couple of years.

Posted by
88 posts

I was in Lucca in 2010. It is a lovely town, with plenty to do. You can bike the rampart which surrounds the city, climb to the top of Guinigi Tower for fabulous city views, attend a concert honoring the music of Puccini at the Church of San Giovanni, to name a few. People were friendly and the food was good!!! I would recommend a visit here.

Posted by
11613 posts

I went to Lucca last June for no particular reason except that I'd never been, and I loved it! Friendly people, great walking/biking path along the wall, excellent food and service, and music everywhere! That's my most lasting memory of Lucca, just walking down the street and hearing people practicing from the many conservatories and studios.