Please sign in to post.

Paris lodging

We arrived last Fri to our wonderful room at Hotel du champs de mars. The 3rd floor room,#31, is right on the road and across the street from Cafe du Marche. We ate 2x there and the service and food was great, the prices even better for Paris. The room is very clean, shower and tub,fresh linen daily if you wish. Conveniently located to the bus,metro and RER, train. We are walking distance to Eiffel tower, Seine river, Orsay museum, Louvre and much more. Thank you Rick,for the plug on your site. We definitely will stay hear again if we can afford a return trip. Paris is overall expensive especially for food. For two persons expect at least 50 Euro per meal, lunch or dinner at the local cafe.
Mark

Posted by
11507 posts

Glad you enjoyed your hotel, but sorry, but one most certainly can expect to pay less then 50 euros for two for lunch if they choose , I know , I have many many times. In fact I would feel I had splurged if I spent 25 euros on a lunch!! yikes! Perhaps get off the beaten path( that means no Rue Cler!) , don't order sodas, and try eating more specials of the day! I know you CAN spend that sort of money ( and more) on food, but just don't think a person has to and I wouldn't want to discourage those who are more budget minded.

Posted by
8 posts

I am so glad that you found the prices of eating out reasonable. We did get out of the rue Claire neighborhood many times in our 5 day stay. I am not trying to discourage anyone from traveling, as the cost is only what you can pay. Mark

Posted by
3580 posts

Eat an occaasional meal at one of the many Chinese eateries around Paris. The Plat du Jour is a good deal. Otherwise, order a la carte from the refrigerated case. I eat at the Chinese delis at least every two days. My second choice for lunch is to stop by that fantastic bakery on rue Cler and buy a quiche--there are numerous choices of the single-serve quickes. Sandwiches, croque monseur (sp) and croque madame can make up a meal. Then walk down the street and buy some fresh fruit. Rue Cler also has a wonderful gelato store--Amarino. Lots of flavors and there is a place to sit outside.

Posted by
9420 posts

There's also a crepe stand on rue Cler (and crepe stands all over Paris) that makes good crepes, savory and sweet, for a reasonable price. My favorite: buckweat crepe, fried egg, feta & gruyere cheese, tomatoes, green peppers, onions... yum. There are many ways to lower the cost of eating in Paris. It does not have to be expensive. One of our favorite French restaurants in Paris is on Ile Saint Louis, where you can have a 3 course dinner for 13-15 euros. Good food and wonderful atmosphere in my favorite neighborhood. Italian and other ethnic restaurants are also good value. Then of course, Paris is very picnic friendly... buying wonderful sandwiches at most bakeries, pastries, and other things like fruit, cheese, cold cuts, veggies at small grocery stores, shops or outdoor markets. Lots of ways to eat inexpensively in Paris. Paris is actually easier to eat inexpensively and well than San Francisco, where you and I live close to.

Posted by
8 posts

Susan, unfortunately it rained 4/5 days we were there, so picnic was wet. You have a good point and yes San Fransisco is also very pricy. We are now in Nice, more rain. Ces Lavi. Mark

Posted by
9420 posts

Yes, rain does make it more difficult... sorry it rained 4 out of your 5 days... Hope you still enjoyed Paris though. And I hope you're now enjoying Nice and the south of France! :)