Please sign in to post.

Mont St. Michel

Geez- very confusing situation out at the new "carpark" at Mont St. Michel. The attendents speak no English and can't help you with suggestions on where to park or how to catch the little busses. We had a rental car and after parking it walked forever with our luggage before finding a bus stop to go out to the island. Then in the morning no one told us about the little bus that picks up those who stay at hotels on the island overnight and we fortunately just caught it by pure accident so had a little less walk but still very bad for 2 65 year olds. Then there are no clear directions on the parking ticket machines and the TI doesn't open until 9AM. Because of this we had to pay for a 2 day stay just to exit the parking area instead of the barely 12 hour stay we had!! We love Mont St. Michel - but won't go back until they get their parking situation problems worked out!! Nice idea they have - but needs lots of work!!
Tallahassee Travelers

Posted by
864 posts

We had much the same experience in early May sans the luggage. The exit parking machines were clearly a problem for some of the cars ahead of us (always come prepared with cash and a credit card). The TI was off to the left and the buses departed from the far right and then they don't exactly drop you off next to the entrance. We parked rather close in probably because most people were unwilling to trek several blocks in freezing (literally) rain that was blowing sideways. This was my fifth attempt at seeing it up close and by god I would have hiked through snow this time. It was mostly just us and several bus loads of determined Japanese tourists (and they were clearly having a great time).

Posted by
31 posts

Sorry you had some troubles. Someone should have told you about the relative remoteness of MSM and that it is not the most tourist-oriented place. I stayed overnight in the nearby town of Ponterson (less expensive). Left my luggage at the hotel and with a day pack, took the bus the mile or so to the Mount (quick, regular and convenient) - Rick Steves travel style. This was over 20 years ago but I assume they still have the bus from town to the mount and back. Unless you really want to wake up on the Mount, there doesn't seem to be a big advantage to staying overnight there, IMO. I can't even imagine hauling my luggage up that steep street. However, I was also traveling by train, no car, but still would stay in Ponterson if I did. By the way, it IS Europe, and I still (even today) think that when they speak English, it is a gift, not a given. Especially in the relatively remote areas such as MSM. Best to read up a lot about the more remote sites and get the TI office to brief you and also call ahead for hotel reservations. I learned this the hard way when all hotels were booked due to a festival and the last train out of town had already left. I had an interesting overnight stay at the train station with some Japanese students. By the next day, the hotels had emptied and the adrenalin of seeing the mount overcame my sleepiness - the journey resumed - success!

Posted by
1994 posts

I have a different take from Don re staying on the island. I stayed at La Mere Poulard, which was undoubtedly my most expensive room on any trip to Europe (but it was the only place on the island with a vacancy). It was so worth it, and I'd do it again without hesitation. I was enchanted with MSM, which wouldn't have been the case had I been there only during the day. Very nice staff, clean, charming old building, and a relatively large room with with a view of the bay (which is unusual when you reserve a single room in Europe). They also carried my luggage up the stairs for me, which I appreciated. I was very glad that the hotel is located immediately inside the entrance to the island. Many of the less expensive hotels would have been a very challenging walk uphill and sometimes up stairs towing my luggage.

Posted by
3696 posts

I just stayed there a few days ago and most definitely it was a pain figuring out the parking and the bus... but after much persistance and hand waving and pointing, we managed to figure it out and stay at a wonderfully quaint little room up 3 flights of stairs on the island, and it was well worth the trouble. Although it was Nov. and there were not the hordes of tourists I can imagine in the summer, there were plenty, but when they left it was a totally different place. It was almost as though we were two of about 20 people there. As it got dark so early we wandered around and climbed up to see the views and it was really special for a 14 year old boy. There were a couple of tourists playing some classical music on their ipod to add to the ambience and if I had not read this post I would have already forgotten the trouble with the parking... One note, they did have a guy there when we returned asking for our experience on the bus and I had an email sent by the hotel a day or two before my arrival explaining the procedure...but too late for me to get it. But...I would stay there at least one time.

Posted by
1 posts

We visited last spring and the parking was kind of a hassle, but not something I really thought about again until I read these posts. MSM was one of the absolute highlights of a terrific trip we took, with two 7 year olds and a 10 year old in tow. We encountered two workers re-grouting an area of rock they had been repairing. The workers spoke no English and my husband's French is sincere, although incomprehensible. Somehow between the three of them, he was able to convey his wish to lay some of the grout in the rocks. There was a lot of charades and laughing as they figured out what he wanted to do. In the end, my husband spent about five minutes working with them and he has now made a permanent contribution to an incredible place. He loved it and the workers couldn't have been kinder. We will definitely go back there to visit his handiwork!