Please sign in to post.

Hotel in Salzburg

We recently had a scary experience in Salzburg, Austria. My husband took sick and had to be hospitalized. We were staying in the Hotel Scherer and they were so wonderful in helping me out during a very trying experience. I cannot say enough about them. In addition, the hotel is very nice, 2 blocks from the train station, lovely rooms, lovely outside garden for breakfast which is included. If you are looking for a great hotel in Salzburg, you would love this one.

Posted by
10218 posts

I hope your husband is okay now. It is hard when you get sick and have to seek medical attention in another country. It's wonderful that they were so helpful to you.

Posted by
4 posts

I will be going to vienna and salzburg both , can you help me a first timer figure out how to get from vienna to salzburg and where to stay in vienna? ( i found a place in salzburg to sleep) ) is there public transportation in salzburg ? and how essay is it to figure out? thank you geri

Posted by
4 posts

Hi, you can easily take a train from Vienna to Salzburg. Go on Rail Europe website and click on fares and schedules. The trains are wonderful and easy to use. You can pull up the entire schedule plus cost. Which hotel are you booked into? You can search to see how close it is to the train station, may be within walking distance. When are you going? We were there in late June and found it very crowded and hard to get around especially in the old town area.

Posted by
19092 posts

"Go on Rail Europe website and click on fares and schedules." RailEurope is NOT the place to go for schedules and fares. First, they don't show all of the trains; they only show the trains for which they sell tickets, and those are the most expensive ones. Second, they don't sell tickets at face value; they mark them up some over the price you could pay at the counter over there and a lot over what you could get on the Austrian Rail website. For example, for the 7:01 RailJet from Salzburg to Vienna, RailEurope wants $79 for a ticket in 2nd class (plus $18 S&H per order less than $449). That price includes a seat reservation. The Austrian Rail price is 49,90€ ($61.32) and you can self print at home, no extra fee. And, with advance purchase, you can get an online fare from Austrian Rail as low as 19€ ($23.35). From Austrian Rail, a seat reservation is optional for an additional 3€ ($3.69). Geri, here (in PDF format) is the transit map for Salzburg.

Posted by
68 posts

EEK, never use RailEurope, for sure!!! They just jack up the prices with no value added. DeutscheBahn has a clear, efficient listing of all European trains that is super for planning ANY train trip in Europe. Thanks German efficiency :) Then you buy your actual ticket (if not traveling in Germany) on the appropriate national rail site. The Man in Seat Sixty-One is great for tips on booking specific trips. Both links can be found on this site in Favorite Links section.

Posted by
4 posts

Hi, thanks for the info regarding RailEurope. We bought our tickets at the train station in Germany so I don't think we overpaid.