Please sign in to post.

Rothenburg ob der Tauber

Just returned last week. We took Rick Steves advice and stayed "inside the walls" and day tripped out from there. Good advice. we had the whole place to ourselves from 4pm til 10am. Also, before retiring my work involved weekly travel in the USA and I never remember staying inside a walled city built in the 1300s.
TIP: get off the autobahn. slow down. see the countryside stop in the little farm towns. You can drive fast on a freeway when you get back home. This part of Germany is made for s l o w. Besides it will get your heart rate down.

Posted by
14 posts

I have to agree with you. I was there 10 years ago and it was one of my favorite stops on a 3-week car tour of Germany, Austria, Switzerland, France, and England. We stayed in a RS recommended b&b within the walls and were lucky enough to be in town during a festival. That night we drank in the beer garden and later ate nutella crepes. We walked inside the walls of the city and took a walking tour led by a fabulous guide. We started in Maintz and worked our way along the Rhine...the most beautiful towns along the way to Rothenburg and along the "Romantic Road" that eventually took us to Munich. We explored the area via train and boat and car. There are great castles and houses along that area of the Rhine and Mosel and quite a few wineries. It really was beautiful. I remember it well after this long!

Posted by
65 posts

was there 6 years ago in Dec for Christmas fair, weather was drizzle and cool.Still it was festive with the usual hot wine, food, small stalls and local entertainment.But overall nothing special and relatively small even for the small town.

Posted by
1568 posts

Rothenburg was also one of our favorites. Thank you for your trip update.