Please sign in to post.

The Gold Market, Florence

Hi all,

I bought jewelry at The Gold Market near San Croce in Florence. The necklace I tried on in the store was rose gold and I wanted yellow gold. The bracelet was slightly too large and if they took two links off, I would only pay for the gold I bought. It was my last day in Florence, so I paid for the jewelry and had it shipped to my home.

It was dropped off by UPS with no signature. Just left at the doorstep of my apartment building.

The jewelry inside was not what I'd tried on in the store. The links of the necklace were much thinner and not nicely made. The bracelet looked identical, but was made of thinner gold so doesn't sit well and is very jangle-y and noisy.
I took a photo of the jewelry before I left the store, so I wouldn't rely entirely on memory.
I wrote the store 36 hours ago and have not heard back. I bought the jewelry with Amex though and it seems like they will be helpfu.

Anyhow, they do have beautiful things in that store. But make sure you leave with exactly the piece you tried on.

Happy Trails!

Posted by
977 posts

I'm sorry to hear this. However, I'm curious as to why you would ship jewellery home?? Either wear it or carry it in your bag. Surely it's not a weight factor.

Posted by
32767 posts

what did you ask the store to do in your letter? what are AMEX going to do? why didn't you just take it with you instead of paying UPS? what does the fact that UPS just left it have to do with anything? what was written on the Customs declaration that caused UPS to think it had little value?

these are questions which immediately arise from your story.

Posted by
4 posts

To clarify: I didn't bring the jewelry home because the jeweler was to take links off the bracelet and I wanted the necklace in yellow gold instead of rose gold. The jeweler wasn't in that morning and the chain had to come from their workshop. The pieces weren't available to take with me.

The shop assured me that they ship jewelry all the time and there would be no problem.
I've asked them for a refund and if they won't, then Amex will likely refuse the payment. I will report back on the outcome.

The store has a good online presence, I've posted this so other people will take care.

Posted by
4 posts

Further, I was assured by the shop that I would sign for the pieces when they arrived, not that they'd just get dumped in my hallway.

Posted by
2393 posts

I would imagine it was very disappointing at the least to open your package and find the wrong items. I expect it also frustrating to have to deal with getting things right. At this point you might consider just returning the items shipped to, canceling the transaction on your credit card, and chalk it up to lesson learned. I'm not sure how expensive the pcs you purchased were but I would not have been comfortable walking out of the store without them.

Posted by
4 posts

I sent 2 emails to the store and got no response. So I alerted Amex and wrote the store again. At that point, they agreed to a return. It took a couple weeks, but I did get my money back. So no real harm done, but I am still super disappointed.

It was the first time I'd ever bought jewelry abroad. Next time, I'll make sure to leave a store with exactly the pieces I tried on.

Other jewelry purchasing novices should learn from my mistake...

Posted by
27122 posts

Thanks for letting us know that you recovered the money. It could have been much worse.

Posted by
2393 posts

Thanks for the update - glad you had a resolution - sorry you missed out on your jewelry.

Posted by
440 posts

Shame this happened to you its not like you will be able to find a similar piece at home