Please sign in to post.

Italy

Although I have enjoyed many of the tips that I received from buying Rick's book. I am very disappointed in his choice of restaurants in Siena and Extremely disappointed in one of his choices for a hotel in Rome the Smeraldo. I booked the hotel and received a booking confirmation only to arrive and they said mt credit card would not go through and no rooms available. My credit card company said the rooms were never attempted on my card. Thank God for Hotels.com they saved the day!

Posted by
32765 posts

It is a shame you had a problem at the Smeraldo. I loved my time there a couple of years ago. It was quiet, could hear the nearby churchbells through our window or silent when closed, the staff were friendly, the breakfast good. The lifts and the showers are on the small side, there is a really good deli around the corner next to their annex.

It sounds like your card failed - probably for notification - at the start of the process rather than when you arrived.

Posted by
1501 posts

Hotel Smeraldo gets mixed reviews. I was ReallyTempted last time to try it because of its location and price, but stuck with my tried and true Alimandi -- either Alimandi Tunisi or Alimandi Vaticano. The problem with them now is they're booked so far in advance that it can be difficult getting in there. I read a lot of T.A. reports re Smeraldo, and a lot of people complained that the "staff" was either "Cold, aloof, or downright rude."

Perhaps it's time RS removes it from his book!