Please sign in to post.

Gelato

While Rick's recommendation for Grom's in Milan is excellent, we found someplace even better in Florence: Conogelato, Via Faenza, 50-52/r. Try the Lemon and Dark Chocolate. It's near the main indoor and outdoor market.

Posted by
4535 posts

Better than Grom's? I do not believe you. I require proof! ;-)

Posted by
7 posts

I guess you will have to go try it yourself... It will be worth the trip! (The lemon was the best of the following places: Milan, Cinque Terra, Pisa, Naples/AC, and Rome.) The owner is onsite and will be happy to brag about himself and the nuances of gelato!

Posted by
288 posts

The best gelateria in Milan, without any doubt, is La Gelateria della Musica!! Grom is good, but they are a chain gelateria, and more expensive than others... I definetly recommend La Gelateria della Musica, I live here and it is the best gelato I've ever had... The downside is that it is a little out of the usual places people visit, but it's worth the trip! It's in Via Pestalozzi 4, you arrive to Porta Genova and the the 2 tram, and get off at the station named Pestalozzi, and you'll see the line of people there, always! Mostly locals, because is not very known to tourists, but the best!

Posted by
5370 posts

Nothing in this world is better than the pistachio from Grom.

Posted by
7 posts

Well, Pistachio was good, too... I think I tried 17 different flavors. I lost count. Lemon was by far my favorite, so here's how I ordered: "1 small cup, 2 scoops; first scoop lemon (the common standard by which I judged everything else), the second scoop whatever." Of course, I would then taste whatever my husband got (his first scoop was also lemon). So, I guess I tried a lot more than 17... I think this may require more research.

Posted by
288 posts

I insist, try La Gelateria della Musica, they have like 6 different pistacchio flavours (salted, non salted etc). It's the best!

Posted by
15576 posts

Every time I used to get gelato, I'd try different flavors. Never found a chocolate I liked. Always ended up liking hazelnut best by far.

Then I went to Black Dog Gelato in Chicago with Italian-American friends who've been to Italy many times. We all agreed it was the best we've ever had. Even the chocolate was superb. They make some intriguing flavors (different ones every day) in small batches.

If anyone has a recommendation for Venetian gelato, I'll take it . . . that's my next destination.

Posted by
295 posts

I can't help with Venice but my all time favorite is in Rome called Old Bridge. Its close to St. Peters across from the wall if you are heading towards the Vatican Museum from St. Peters. I always order lemon everytime I get gelato and I have yet to find a better lemon anywhere on any of my trips. I will always go back to Old Bridge. I agree that Grom is good but its a chain and I prefer single stores like Old Bridge.

Posted by
11613 posts

Best gelato in Italy is at a small artigianal shop on Via Santa Cristina in Bolsena, just off the piazza where the buses stop. Intriguing flavors in small batches, change daily. List of awards is on the poster out front. Rum raisin, chocolate and fig, pistachio, yummm.

Posted by
3940 posts

We stayed near the Colosseum in Rome and on San Giovanni in Laterno (street? road?) just before via Ostilla there was a little hole in the wall Cremeria Don Pepe - OMG - I think it was the best, and we had a lot of gelato. I only wish we had discovered it on night one instead of night 3. First night I had the dark chocolate and coconut. Second night I had the black cherry and crème. The black cherry was my fav. And I don't know how they pack that much gelato in one of those small cups! We had Old Bridge on the last night as we were over by the Vatican - hands down, Pepe was the best...