Please sign in to post.

Puerto Rico.

Please share your thoughts/experiences if you recently visited 2014/2013. Thank you.

Posted by
1552 posts

We were there (San Juan) for port days on cruises in 2012 and again in 2013. Obviously there wasn't enough time to really see the place but here are some thoughts:

Castello el Morro is worth a quick stop. It only costs a buck or two to get in. Arrive before the cruisers get there.

We enjoyed a nice pitcher of Sangria at a restaurant called Espana. If I remember correctly it is near a hotel called El Convento. The menu looked good - unfortunately we did not have time to eat but the atmosphere was terrific and we will seek it out if/when we go again.

Obviously we were only there during the day but we felt perfectly safe.

That is all that I can think of right now, if anything comes to mind I will post again. We liked it enough we have considered a lengthier vacation there.

Posted by
8150 posts

Hey, this is a Europe forum.

But I'll help you anyway. Puerto Rico has an identity crisis. They're Americans that don't know what language to speak. Older citizens speak Spanish. Most young adults and younger speak both Spanish and English at the same time . Some Puerto Ricans are speaking to their kids in English all the time. Schools are in Spanish.

Jobs are scarce, and unemployment is very high. They're very entrepreneurial people. With a canopy and a gas grill, they're a restaurant on the side of the highway. With 2 cases of bottled water and a ice cooler, they're selling water at red lights.

Puerto Ricans are very independent people. They'll stop their cars in the middle of a 4 lane major highway and go into the bank. Every house on the island has heavy security doors and bars--even around their carports. Theft is rampant.

But with the same businesses as in the mainland U.S., Puerto Rico is fairly easy to travel in. It's a shame the roads from San Juan to the south are so bad, and that the western end of the island is not served by a better airport. The territory is falling far short of being a premier tourist haven it should be.