Please sign in to post.

Paris in winter?

We are taking our 22-yr old niece to Paris in December as a graduation gift. We've been to Paris several times but never in winter. Does anyone have any tips/thoughts on traveling at this time? Particularly concerned about the weather...we are from NC and our December is merely chilly: getting around is no problem. Can we expect snow, ice, will we be able to get out and stroll, etc.
Thanks for any/all help.

Posted by
1 posts

We went a few years ago in early January. The city was lovely, far better than in the other seasons. However, the cold is astonishing. It never got above 36 degrees. I -- from California -- wore long underwear, several layers, hats, scarves and mittens. It becomes light at about 9:30, and dark around 4:30. From what our French friends tell us, snow is unusual (although there have been more snowstorms the last few years -- climate change?). We had no problems getting around...just the cold. Walking tours that had 35 people in summer had 4. Fewer tourists all around, almost no lines at big attractions, restaurants crowded with French folk. So a lot to recommend it, just be prepared for bitter cold.

Posted by
12040 posts

Very cold weather is uncommon in Paris in December, and snow is quite rare. Average daily highs are usually in the 40s. The air will be very damp, but not likely to be especially cold.

Posted by
3200 posts

Don, I love Paris in December…the Christmas decorations are lovely. It is festive. I'm from New England so I am used to the cold, but we are out all day whether we are there in the winter or the summer. Pack gloves and a hat, they make the difference, IMO. I prefer to travel in winter when venues are not tired of tourists. Of course, you'll have a wonderful time in Paris no matter what time of year you go. Wray.

Posted by
6 posts

We were in Paris for Valentine's Day a few years ago.....that sounds very romantic, but it was only because my husband had to go to a meeting and I tagged along. We had every kind of weather. It rained, snowed, the sun came out, you name it! Mostly it was chilly and wet. December would be about the same. Dress appropriately and have fun. Paris is good no matter what the weather.

Posted by
5835 posts

I haven't traveled in France during the winter yet, but mid to late winter travel is my norm for Europe. We're skiers.

The two primary disadvantages of winter travel are shorter daylight hours and shorter opening hours of attractions. For sun set and rise times, the Naval Observatory website is as close to exact if you get Zulu Time: http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneYear.php

That said winter travel has more advantages than disadvantage for me. Not only are tourist attractions less crowded, but hotels often offer winter off season prices. Colder weather seems (and fewer potential victims) seem to minimize the number of pickpockets (not that I know what a pickpocket looks like). And if they are pickpockets at work, all the extra clothing layers must make lifting wallets more challenging. And lastly, you don't need air conditioning. The Norwegians say that there is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing.

Posted by
41 posts

Thanks to all for considerate replies. Question about "layering". Read somewhere that better to NOT do this, as inside cafes etc the heat is high and the fewer garments to take off the easier. I would prefer to get by with just one jacket over a sweater, if possible.

Posted by
2393 posts

If you plan to be out and about walking a hat, scarf & gloves are essential for comfort. Also I suggest a 3/4 length coat. You will not have any fun if you are cold. We have been in January several times - it is wonderful. The temp rarely falls below freezing - but it can and it rarely snows - but it can - but does not last long. We have experienced everything from below freezing to high 50's.

One nice thing is many cafes have clear vinyl rooms around the sidewalk tables and toasty warm patio heaters so you can still sit "outside" and people watch.

The best thing is there are no lines! Enjoy!

Posted by
5835 posts

Don,

Removing layers of clothing is less of a issue than you think. I typically have a rain/wind shell over a fleece jacket as my outer layers. I can remove both with the two garments together. The fleece sleeve remaining in the shell's sleeves.

As said by others, cap and gloves are part of the layering system. Those get tucked into my shell's pockets before removing the jackets. That leaves all my outside layers on one hanger.

The layer I can't strip (easily) is my pant base layer, but I use the same base layer pant that I use for XC skiing. The pant base layer I use is light and more for trapping a warm air layer next to skin than working as a thick insulating layer. Technical base layers (e.g. Patagonia, Craft, Ibex) hold warm air next to skin while wicking body moistue away. You shouldn't over heat with the base layer pant on indoors and will appreciate it walking along the Seine in a breeze.

Posted by
10178 posts

"Thanks to all for considerate replies. Question about "layering". Read somewhere that better to NOT do this, as inside cafes etc the heat is high and the fewer garments to take off the easier. I would prefer to get by with just one jacket over a sweater, if possible."

My husband and I took our then 20 year old daughter to Paris. We were there 5 years ago from December 29 - January 8. It was very cold. The warmest it got for us was 33 degrees F. We are from California and really felt the cold. We layered, as many here suggest. If I do another trip in the winter I will do as you are suggesting. I would wear a sweater and a down jacket that reaches mid-thigh or just above the knee. A down jacket would be lightweight and would compact down to a small thing if put in a compression bag. Some down jackets even come with a carrying pouch. It was stifling hot on the metro, and you can't really start taking layers off. In restaurants and museums I felt like I was stripping. What to do with all these layers I've removed?

What a nice gift for your niece. Have a wonderful trip to my favorite city!!

Posted by
491 posts

Was in Paris two Decembers and there was snow. We have photos of snowball
Fights. But it's lovely. I love winter travel.

Posted by
2393 posts

For the colder winter temps I too am not a fan of layers - once inside they are too warm for me. A warm 3/4 length coat over a shirt & pants really does the trick. Trust me - your legs will be happy you did not wear a jacket that goes to the waist.

Posted by
8 posts

Here is the deal. I am from California, where is likes being 75 during December. Every time I have gone to Paris it has been the winter, including the Best of Paris in 7 Days Rick Steve's trip. Every time it has been cold, snowed, and rained. However let me tell you, if you are going to be walking around all over the place and not hopping into taxis or renting a car you will be fine. I good beanie, a scarf, and a good coat that doesn't soak up water and you're set. Where the important part of packing comes in, is the shoes, you need to have comfortable, durable and weatherized shoes, so that if it does rain or it does snow you aren't walking around in wet feet all day.

Nothing is more beautiful then Paris in December. If you can handle North Carolina, you can handle Paris, I promise! I was there 2 years ago when they had the most snow they had in 10 years, and I was fine! Let me know if you would like to see pics of what I wore and you can get an easy understanding that way.

Posted by
12040 posts

Another thing worth pointing out is that many of the cafés use outdoor heating lamps in the winter. So even that quintessential Paris experience you won't miss out on. Of course, the main reason they use those is so that people can smoke...

Posted by
10178 posts

I seem to remember those outside areas with heaters at cafes being enclosed with plastic (or whatever you want to call it). It's not really like enjoying those areas at nicer times of the year.