Please sign in to post.

Salzburg Austria

We really liked Salzburg and have a couple of comments regarding two sites. We were disappointed in the Hohensalzburg Fortress and would only give it one star instead of two. The Old Residenz was given one star...we would give it three! It is a great bargain...with the full audio guided tour (2-2 1/2 hr) we got history, museum, art gallery, context, & a real sense of what life was like at that time. A must see in our opinion.

Posted by
252 posts

Could you explain more about your reason(s) for being disappointed in the Hohensalzburg Fortress? What were your expectations?

Posted by
2 posts

The fortress is huge overlooking th city. When you get there you're not sure where to go. Once you figure it out and are in line you get your audio tour and off you go. You actually see very little of the fort and the audio guide did not include the residence portion that was open. I'm not sure how these sights are run but I guess I expected it to have bettersignage so that we knew where to go as well as a better quality audio. I also expected the audio to co ed everything.

Posted by
138 posts

We enjoyed both the Hohensalzburg Fortress and the Old Residenez during our visit to Salzburg in May 2013. I think it is just a matter of expectation and preference - to each their own! I guess that is one thing about traveling - we could all visit and see the same sites, but come away with different opinions. Even when my husband and I are "disappointed" by any of the places we have been to, we just see it as an experience. Perhaps we will never go back again but we never consider it a waste of time. You just don't know until you get there and see it for yourself, but we are always glad we went and saw. And we always respect other people's opinions and not contradict their feelings or perspectives. There are no right or wrong opinions.