Please sign in to post.

Ireland trip

Just finished a three week trip through Ireland. My observations:
- The Gardens of Powerscourt were unimpressive perhaps because much was not in bloom. For those who are looking for a good garden tour, do not miss the gardens at Glenveagh Castle in Donegal.
- Waterford is skippable, unless you want to buy crystal.
- The Titanic Experience was cheesy.
- The Kissane Sheep Farm Demo was extraordinary
- Avoid the Dunbeg Fort. Recent erosion does not allow you to tour the ruins. You pay 2 Euro to stand behind a fence.
- The entrance to the Church at Kilmalkedar was locked.
- The Dunfanaghy Workhouse is a disappointment. Avoid.
- The Guiness Storehouse in Dublin is a waste unless you want to pay 16 Euro for a pint with a great view of the city.
- The Book of Kells should be visited in the early afternoon. Your ticket for the Trinity College tour will enable your entrance. The crowds that show up when the Book of Kells opens in the morning makes the ability to examine the Book impossible.
- Things not to miss: Rock of Cashel; the Kinsale Historic stroll with Don and Barry; Kissane Sheep Farm; Derrynane House; Gallarus Oratory; Cliffs of Moher; the Burren; Dun Aenghus; The Derry Wall Walk; the Bogside Murals; the Gardens at Glenveagh; the Giants Causeway; Carrick a Rede Rope Bridge; Dunluce Castle; New Grange at Bru no Boinne; KIlmainham Gaol; Trinity College; Old Midleton Distillery (better than Bushmill's); Dublin Castle
- Biggest Suprises - Kilmainham Gaol tour (in fact all the tours at the sites managed by the Irish Office of Public Works, OPW were excellent).
- Biggest Disappointment - Waterford
Most of the hotels we stayed at were fine. I would not stay again at Parknasilla Resort or the Beulah Lodge in Portrush (the owner was nice but the place was overpriced). The Jurys' Inn chain was better than average.

The best food was in Kinsale and Dingle. If you like pub food, you'll like Galway. Note: if breakfasts are offered at your lodging, even if for extra charge, take them. You'll spend a lot of time trying to find breakfast on the street and even if you do, you will wait in line.
- Take washcloths. They don't exist in Ireland. Same with bar soap. They usually provide only liquid soap.

Posted by
703 posts

Good report. Thanks for sharing your experiences. I hope to visit Ireland in the next year or two. Oh and washcloths were not provided in any of the places we recently stayed at in either London or Paris but I knew about it and bought a set of 3 at our local dollar store to take with us.