Please sign in to post.

To book or not to book.

My wife and I decided to take a Viking boat tour this September. We'll start in Bucharest Sept 1 and arrive in Amsterdam 23 days later; which should be a fun trip. We thought, since we're there, and having invested in the air fair, why not extend our stay and see a bit more of Europe. So, in addition to the 23 day boat ride, we'll be in Europe for another 48 days. Which leads me to our problem.

We didn't think we could handle the task of booking approximately 21 hotels. We went to a travel agent, gave them an itinerary, our room requirements, and a rough budget. As of today there hotel costs top $14,000. My wife priced out the same hotels, on the same dates and arrived at a figure closer to $9,000. We had asked the agency to keep our room costs below $250.00 per day.

My wife usually books our hotel stays, so I can't see her being that far off. Why the $5,000 difference. I know agencies make there living from commissions. But that much?

Would it be that difficult to book our own trip?????

Posted by
11613 posts

Stan, you might post this question in General Europe - most people read this topic to find out about trips people have already taken.

Posted by
16893 posts

With online booking services and email, as well as phones, booking European hotels is just about as easy as booking at home. One benefit of a 48-day trip might be that you have time to be flexible and don't need to lock in every hotel or destination before leaving home. (Smaller towns and October travel usually allow more flexibility, but you would want reserve ahead for a popular destination like Paris.) It sounds like the agent started with your budget price, instead of looking for cheaper options.

Since your wife is now familiar with the hotel web sites, I would have her take over, although the travel agent might also be owed a fee for her time spent. Do be aware of the cancellation policy at each place you book, since web sites are trending toward offering non-refundable discount rates that are not much better than the refundable/changeable rates. You could also find some cheaper hotel options using Rick's guidebook advice.

Posted by
7209 posts

Good grief - I've traveled extensively in Europe between 2 and 3 weeks per trip and I've NEVERRRRRR spent that much money on hotels for a FAMILY of 4! If you're just loaded with money then maybe this is ok for you. I'm not loaded with money and still stay in nice places (definitely no hostels).

Posted by
7280 posts

Hi Stan,
Your wife's estimate is much closer to actual prices you should expect. I always book ours, and it averages out to that amount if we're staying in a mix of popular cities and a few smaller locations.

But, I want to comment on "21 hotels". Wow, I love to travel, but I'd be exhausted by checking in/out of 21 hotels. You may want to consider staying a few less places and make them 3 days to be at each location at least 2 1/2 days. I think you'd enjoy your time much more.

Posted by
2788 posts

After 23 days of staying in the same room, I assume, on the boat, traveling to 21 hotels in 48 days will be a real mind challenge for you. When I take a RS tour, I look forward to spending 2 nights in one place and look forward to the day when I can go to Europe for an extended stay (23 + 48 = 71) would be great. I would certainly want to stay in one place more than 2 nights then, maybe a week with day trips from each location. Have you researched any RS Guide Books for recommendations for places to stay. I am not sure that I have seen any in his books for any $250 dollars a day. Good luck and happy travels.

Posted by
255 posts

See how much canceling will cost and try using booking.com.
Their reviews and prices have been very good and easy to book.
Alternatively renegotiate with the travel agency based on your wife's findings.
Your trip is not even in high season. Rates can also be checked at trivago, hotels combined and tripadvisor.

Posted by
9 posts

The travel agent wasn't working out for us, so my wife has booked our stay in the UK. We'll be captured by Vikings from Bucharest to Amsterdam, where we jump ship and wander around France, Spain and Portugal, booking as we go.

It turns out the travel agent uses a commercial booking company, which explains the high prices.

So, we're ready to take off August 14th thinking everything's under control. But of course it never is. This week, June 11, I receive a jury notice from the State of Utah to serve from August thru November, our trip dates of course. A day later, a jury summons from the United States District Court comes in the mail. They would like my smiling face from July thru September.

My name popped up randomly, so THEY claimed, from the state drivers license data base. But why now? We've lived in Southern Utah since 1993 and there aren't that many drivers in Washington County. Why has it taken this long? Is it possible that some one has been tapping our Internet dealings with booking.com? That's impossible isn't it? On second thought, it does seem like something a bored government bureaucrat might do for fun.

Just kidding. It's all straightened out; the court system is pretty accommodating, but I'll still have jury duty to look forward to next year. And I'll have lots of travel stories to entertain the other jurors with.