Please sign in to post.

Money Belt

My husband and I were at Chateau de Beynac, France a couple of weeks ago. When the ticket booth person would not accept VISA, I asked my husband for Euros as I did not have enough. My husband walked around the corner to untuck his shirt and get the Euros from his money belt. The man from the ticket booth came running out yelling, "No, you no piss there. Use toilet!" He was so angry and shouting so loudly, we could make not him understand we were only attempting to get Euros. Needless to say, we did not visit the chateau. It makes for a funny story now, not so much at the time!

Posted by
11507 posts

This would be one reason you never access moneybelt in public( around the corner is still in public) ... fumbling under clothes is not looked upon well by others.. except the theives. I keep money for the day in my purse.

However the guy was an idiot for not realizing his mistake when you showed him the moneybelt.

Posted by
2349 posts

Ah, missed opportunity. Your husband could have gone Mel Brooks and hollered, "Oh, Piss Boy!"

Posted by
2081 posts

Laurie,

I dont wear a money belt, but i wear the ones around the neck. If i have to pull it out for something, i dont mind. So far no one has tried to work they way down my shirt.

happy trails.

Posted by
4535 posts

Well the question is why did he have to walk around the corner? Did he actually have to pretty much undress to access the moneybelt? If so, I guess he needed the privacy and no wonder the attendant thought he was "defacing" the chateau. Otherwise, why not just access it there in line? I've never understood the obsession with accessing moneybelts in privacy...

Posted by
4407 posts

"So far no one has tried to work their way down my shirt."

Better luck in the future, Ray :-)

I'm not crazy about having to access my moneybelt in front of a cashier (I just feel goofy), but I do it and don't worry that I'll be mobbed and robbed upon leaving the store/ticket booth. Now whipping it out and organizing its contents while sprawled on the Spanish Steps in August...not the smartest move.

The French do have this love/hate thing with public (inappropriate) urination. There seems to be a lot of it (maybe less than in decades past?), but then there are these weird thingies you're meant to urinate on (to protect the building itself, complete with 'pee here, not there' instructions!) outside of some buildings, including churches...

Posted by
2081 posts

@ Eileen

" I'm not crazy about having to access my moneybelt in front of a cashier (I just feel goofy), but I do it and don't worry that I'll be mobbed and robbed upon leaving the store/ticket booth. Now whipping it out and organizing its contents while sprawled on the Spanish Steps in August...not the smartest move.
"

im not crazy about bringing out my $$ pouch either, but id rather do it in front of one or few persons than out in the open too.

didnt now about the French and pissing in public or on religious places. Since ive always found places to do the business ive never thought about it. At the worse, i would always go into someplace like hotel/restaurant and ask politely and that i really need to go and dont know where any pubiic restrooms are. so far ive never been refused.

to me it would be sort of funny having someone yelling at me to not piss on the building since i would assume that did happen at one time.

happy trails.

Posted by
8138 posts

"The French do have this love/hate thing with public (inappropriate) urination. There seems to be a lot of it (maybe less than in decades past?), but then there are these weird thingies you're meant to urinate on (to protect the building itself, complete with 'pee here, not there' instructions!) outside of some buildings, including churches.."

No wonder I seldom have ever seen any French in Italy.

Posted by
63 posts

Ummm? My husband wears the money belt pockets over his rear like the tail of a shirt. You wear yours in front? Either way, without assistance from someone digging into the sweaty money belt around your parts, I can see why dude freaked! So which way is proper for wearing the sweaty money belt?

Posted by
206 posts

"The French do have this love/hate thing with public (inappropriate) urination. There seems to be a lot of it (maybe less than in decades past?), but then there are these weird thingies you're meant to urinate on (to protect the building itself, complete with 'pee here, not there' instructions!) outside of some buildings, including churches.."

Funny how they may have a thing about public urination, because they sure don't seem to care about dog poop on the sidewalks!

Posted by
10185 posts

I don't understand why supposedly intelligent people make comments about 75 million people, without using nuance or showing knowledge of the subject. Using "the French" or "they" means you believe that not one person in the country objects to public urination or dog doo on a sidewalk.