Please sign in to post.

Norway

We two couples took a driving loop around interior Norway the first two weeks in September and covered some places not in Rick's book (yet). It was a wonderful way to see the beauty and meet the people. Our route began in Oslo, to Lillehammer, to Andalsnes, over Trollstigen to Geiganger, to Alesund, to Balestrand, to Bergen, then the Norway in a Nutshell back to Oslo. Roads were excellent and easy to follow, ferries were frequent. We were unsuccessful in finding charming, modest B & B's analogous to those in other European countries, however the Spartan accommodations we found were immaculate and had the basics. As expected, it all was expensive. Since we flew Icelandair, we stopped in Iceland for a few days on our way back to the US. Well worth it! By the way, tourist season is abruptly over the end of August, so we had no crowds at all though a few restaurants had closed already. We would highly recommend this trip to enjoy the awesome scenery and have local experiences.

Posted by
2081 posts

Cynthia, nice report. I was in Oslo for several days in early Sept and will be heading back to see the fjords hopefully next year or after that. tried their open face shrimp sandwich and decided to try and copy it at home. forgot the hardboiled egg, but thats okay since i will just need to make it again. wasnt the same since i didnt have the same bread that over there.

Posted by
31 posts

We will be traveling to Norway in May. We will take an eight day cruise and then remain another week there. We are hoping that Trollstigen will be open by mid May. It will depend on the weather conditions. Is it as beautiful and the pictures make you believe? We are also excited about traveling the Atlantic Road.