Please sign in to post.

Rail passes

Why does anyone buy these things? With minor planning you get from one point to another for next to nothing. And certainly for less than a pass. I have been to Europe 3 times in 3 years. Each time, a rail pass was recommended by a travel agent, a web site, a travel guide. Each time I was able to take 4 people through out the continent for far less than the cost of one pass! RESEARCH and plan! i used east coast trains website direct via National rail and scored seats from Edinburgh to London for $100 for 4 seats! Tours to Paris on the high speed train? $19 each! London to Portsmouth 8 euro each! Travel all over Bavaria? 25 euro for our party of 4! For 24 hours unlimited travel! I am no expert, I found all of these deals online and via phone apps! Our total train cost were less than $250-300 for a three week trip!

Posted by
19092 posts

"Why does anyone buy these things? With minor planning you get from one point to another for next to nothing." Because a lot of people are not capable of minor planning (or don't want to take the time). So they use a rail pass because it covers their travel without planning. Or they rent a car (because it gives them freedom, from planning). One of the many ways to make your trip more expensive than necessary.

Posted by
10218 posts

This is a duplicate trip report. Michele, you might want to delete this one since you have so many responses on the other.