Please sign in to post.

Dordogne

I am interested in this region of France and would like to know if any of you have taken a driving trip through the area and what was your itinerary and experience and any recommendations? How much time should one allow for the trip? How are accommodations price-wise? Best time of year to go there? Did you fly into Paris and rent a car there? Thanks for any info!

Posted by
2708 posts

We spent a week in the Dordogne two years ago. We flew into Paris, rented a car, and spent the first week in Brittany. From there we drove to Chinon where we spent the night, then drove to Sarlat, stopping at Oradour sur Glane on the way. We rented an apartment at Sarlat at a reasonable price and thought it was a wonderful base for exploring the Dordogne. We were there in late September, which seemed like an ideal time - it was not that crowded, and although it got a little hot during the day (80s), it cooled down nicely at night. From Sarlat, we visited Beynac and Castlenaud mainly for the castles, Les Eyzies for the museum and caves at Font du Gaume, Rocamadour, Peche Merle (really great caves), Sainte Cirq Lapopie, and la Roque St Christophe. We also went canoeing on the Dordogne one day, which I didn't enjoy as much as I expected. The area is beautiful and historic with endless cute villages and great food. I thought a week was great and longer would be even better. I think three days would be the absolute minimum.

Posted by
2708 posts

BTW, you really should post this in the West section to maximize your responses. This section is for reports from people who are reporting on trips they have taken.