Please sign in to post.

Ravenna

What a surprise to find the smaller old town with the usual winding streets and pathways. Ravenna made the itinerary based on college art history teacher's advice...from almost 50 years ago. Our new home, Casa Masoli B and B, offered a variety of rooms including one on the ground floor which was big enough for a big party - a very big party. Breakfast exceeded all expectations with an abundance of homemade, fresh out of the oven, treats. Highlights include, of course, Gala Placidia's masoleum. I loved the alabaster windows as well as the mosaics. The church of San Vitale overshadows the smaller building and is filled with fascinating mosaics. The stone carpet flooring satisfied all the geometry fans in our group. Further across town outside the baptistry was a very modern metal sculpture of the Holy Family. The church of St. Apollinaris shone with even more mosaics. Just a short time here before we left for Venice.
Sue

Posted by
1819 posts

I visited San Vitale during school trip week. Of course, the students were a bit boistrous and loud. My best memory is not only the wonderful mosaics and flooring, but the priest on the loud speaker saying "Silenzio" every few minutes. I can still hear that in my head when I think of Ravenna.

Posted by
26 posts

Laurie, I am so sorry you had that experience. What an annoying interruption of one's own "silence" and space to enjoy beauty. Maybe someday you will be able to return and enjoy San Vitale without the "silencing."
Sue

Posted by
11613 posts

Ravenna is one of my favorite cities. I was in the baptistry and noticed vestments and other objects on the baptismal font, and sure enough, a few minutes later baby Silvia was baptized in a place continuously used for this celebration for almost 15 centuries.

Posted by
1819 posts

Sue, I decided to not be annoyed, but pretend it was God speaking to us from high to be quiet and respectful. The loud speaker must have been above our heads and the priest's voice was low and he really dragged out that one word. I know it did quiet the kids at least for a couple minutes. I just counted it as part of the experience.