Please sign in to post.

Amalfi Coast

Using Rick Steves' guide books and a couple others as well as Rick's wedsite and trip advisor. I planned a trip for 8 of us women. We lucked out on the weather-70+ every day & clear skies. The 2 guides I used, Silvia Braggio for Paestum, Pompeii and Herculeanum and Giovanna Donadio, Isle of Capri, were excellent not to mention Giovanna's husband who was our driver as well-very polite and drove very safely. Giovanna came to our rescue when an email came from Alitalia saying our return flight was "rescheduled" & we didn't know how to get a hold of them. She phoned for us. Hotel Savoia in Positano & Hotel Minerva were a good fit for us, cost wise and location wise and VERY clean. We traveled mid April. We also walked Path of the Gods with guide Lucy Zia who was very patient with this late 60s group. This walk is not for the faint of heart but the views will forever be imprinted on my brain.

Posted by
8141 posts

Eight women. You are very brave. Glad your trip came together and you found great guides. You went at one of the best times of the year to go, before the crowds show up. David Voorhees
Florence, AL

Posted by
11 posts

6 Years ago we did Rome & Florence and drove through out Tuscany in 2 cars and rented a villa. But I knew better than to even attempt to drive in the Amalfi Coast. It was as much fun planning as the trip itself.
thanks for your comment.

Posted by
1 posts

Dear Dianne, I've walked on the Path of Gods too and I was in a group with Zia Lucy. I found her very hrlpful and I think this was the best experience of my trip on The Amafli Coast.
Kate

Posted by
11 posts

We had a little "reunion" just yesterday and shared pictures and reminisced. I could agree more. She was a sweetheart because we were slow and we couldn't start in Bomnero (can't spell it) because there was an accident on the road. So we had to climb 2000 steps out of Praiano and get to the trail that way. But we did it!!! Pictures don't do the views justice. I'm soooo glad we did it and had Lucy as a guide as well

Posted by
95 posts

Hi Dianne, Looks like we are neigbors. I really enjoyed your trip report. Just about 2 years ago, I took that hike up the 2000 steps to the Path of the gods. That is as far as I made it. It IS spectacular! We stayed in Praiano. Where is the Hotel Minerva? (I am dreaming of my next trip).
Linda

Posted by
11 posts

We certainly are neighbors. I love meeting people. As a matter of fact, one of the women that went on my trip was from Delmar & I struck up a conversation with her in Target at Northway Mall. My grown up kids just roll their eyes.
Hotel Minerva was in Sorrento. We stayed 5 nights in Positano at Hotel Savoia & 5 5 nights at Hotel Minerva. Would love to meet you sometime. Next trip is Oct 2014 on River cruise to Paris & Normandy. So many places & so little money but I sure do alright for myself. My husband doesn't like to travel.Dianne Luci (Facebook-)

Posted by
201 posts

My husband and I did the Path of the Gods without a guide last year. It was such a wonderful experience. We stayed at a b&b in the little town at the top of those 2000 steps called Nocelle. The name of the b&b was Casa Cucaro. It was brilliant! The b&b had views to die for. You step right outside their door and you are on the trail. We never did do the 2000 stops down to Positano. We just took the city bus when we wanted to explore Positano. No problem! Their was a great restaurant just around the corner from the b&b. We will cherish the memories and the views in our minds eye from this trip for the rest of our lives.

Posted by
11 posts

The 2000 steps were out of the town Praiano not out of Norcello. The local bus had to stop there due to an accident before Amalfi. I know the b & b where you stayed. I don't believe it was open yet but our guide pointed it out to us. We did take the city bus from Norcello to Positano when we finished. You can see all the pictures you want on the internet but until you see them in person, you never imagine how beautiful the views are.