Please sign in to post.

Spain, July 2020

I will be in Madrid and Valencia in July, 2020. I'm short-term living in each city to preview what life might be like living there once I retire. I plan to shop locally, go to the markets, and also go to local meetups I'm interested in (such as easy hiking, art and culture, wine tasting, and "original version" film groups). I am very interested in meeting and befriending locals.

I am 62, in shape, and a non-smoker. Over time, I've pared down my travel bags from suitcases to a well-packed rucksack, and I just wash the few changes of clothes during my trips. I love a glass of wine with dinner, but I am not a big drinker. I am budget minded, yet willing to spend money on important things like good lodging, good food, and fun things to do. I prefer family-owned hotels with charm rather than cookie-cutter hotels. I don't need or want to pay for 5-star hotel experiences.

Looking for friends to go to dinner, and do things at night, and share sightseeing experiences with. As a woman traveling alone, I tend to stay in after dark, and it would be great to pair up with someone so we both feel safer at night. During the day, I'm independent, so we don't need to be together all day every day, but I find that most experiences are richer when they're enjoyed with others who are excited about what we're seeing and doing

If my travel mode and interests are compatible with yours, I'd love to hear from you. I realize not everyone has a month to stay in Spain, so perhaps I could connect with a few fellow travelers? Thanks in advance -- Karen

Posted by
2 posts

Hello Roxy

I am a retired female and I was thinking of taking a RS tour to Spain. Your blog interested me as I also travel solo and like to feel safe at night. I am leaving to Scotland and Ireland in a few days taking my first RS tours. I prefer to travel on my own and have been thinking of doing what you are doing also but for a shorter period of time. I am a young 67 in shape and like hiking drink very little. I live in southern California. My next trip on my agenda is Spain and Portugal.

Kathy

Posted by
2 posts

Hi Kathy, I'm so glad to hear from you! Perhaps by now you are on the RS Tour to Ireland; I'd be interested in what you like / don't like about it (can I say that on here? lol). Perhaps we can meet up in Spain next summer. How do we take a conversation offline from the forum? I'm not wanting to post my email in a public space. I'll see what I can find out, and in the meantime, I hope you're traveling and having fun. Sincerely, Karen