Please sign in to post.

Rome - Sorrento in September 2012... looking for company

This is my second solo trip to Europe. Looking for someone who may like to tour some of the same areas with me, and/or share a meal and travel stories. I have no particular preference on age/gender, just looking for a person with like interests. I am female and 50+. Traveling solo has its advantages and disadvantages. For this trip it would be nice to have some company and sitting alone at meal time gets old. My travel plans are: Rome 9/20-9/23 then Sorrento area 9/23-9/27 by public transportation (Train, Metro/bus, boat). In Rome I want to visit: Borghese Gallery and Gardens, Cappuchin Crypt, Colosseum underground, St. Peters in Chains Church, do RS Trastevere & Night Walk, and the Appian Way & Catacombs. In the Sorrento/Naples area I want to visit: Naples Archeological Museum then Pompeii one day, Sorrento & Amalfi Coast to Ravello another day, and then either Capri & blue grotto or the Island of Ischia for thermal baths on another day. If you are interested in meeting up to join me in some of the above-listed activities/tours, or to just sit for a lovely meal and conversation, please post here. Linda

Posted by
1318 posts

Yes, my dates are set. Booked flights, hostels/hotel and fast train to Naples. Let me know if you would like to check out some of the sites/share a meal together. I am really looking forward to another trip to Europe.

Posted by
1318 posts

Susanna, I sent you an email. Now I know what Carolina (North) ... didn't notice that earlier. Linda

Posted by
9 posts

Hi Linda, i am 51 female. I am going to miss you by just a few days. I am going to be in sweden then Rome on the25th and sorrento on the 28th sounds like we are doing teh exact same thing but i am going all over Italy then to Germany and austria. I hope you have a great time. Maybe we can connect in the future.

Posted by
1318 posts

Hi Darla, yes we could totally keep corresponding to see where the future travels will lead us.
Ciao for now... Linda

Posted by
3 posts

Hi Linda and Darla, I am also a 50+ female who travels solo on many occasions. Although I am not traveling to europe this year, I would love to see if there is a potential to meet up in the future. Since I am still teaching I travel mostly in May or December. I am tentatively looking at Italy in May 2013. Please let me know if you are interested in corresponding. Enjoy your adventures! P. Theresa

Posted by
1633 posts

Looks like we need to start a female, solo traveler, 50+ club! Would like to travel with any of you on the off season. Cheers!

Posted by
1318 posts

Denise and Theresa, yes, isn't it funny there are more than a few of us females 'of a certain age' to want to travel solo. It gives me more control over what I do on my trips, but I do love company for meals and to share the experiences of new cultures. After this year of travel, I have to upgrade the floors in my condo, so another trip won't happen for me until at least 2014. I may want to try going back to Cental America then. We can always keep the dialogue going though. For now, ciao! Linda

Posted by
1318 posts

Denise and Theresa, yes, isn't it funny there are more than a few of us females 'of a certain age' to want to travel solo. It gives me more control over what I do on my trips, but I do love company for meals and to share the experiences of new cultures. After this year of travel, I have to upgrade the floors in my condo, so another trip won't happen for me until at least 2014. I may want to try going back to Cental America then. We can always keep the dialogue going though. For now, ciao! Linda

Posted by
3 posts

Denise and Linda, Exactly what I was thinking! Start a women's travel club where we get to know each other by corresponding and meet up when and if our travel plans coincide. I love the freedom of solo travel but also enjoy the people I've met up with to enjoy a meal or have spent the day with at a museum. Something to think about. I completely understand not being able to travel every year. I seem to be on odd years right now (2011; 2013............but who knows when that might change). My passion is Italy and France. And I'm the type to return to my favorites over and over again. Rome is one of my all time favorites; I've been there several times and would return in a heartbeat (hope you enjoy it too, Linda!). Yes, let's keep the dialog going................Enjoy!

Posted by
1 posts

Hi all, If you start a club, I'm in. I'm also 50+ and love to travel. Thinking of East Europe in 2013.
Molly

Posted by
2 posts

Hi Linda, Darla, Denise, P. Theresa and Molly - Please add me to the 50+ group as a possible travel companion. I've made a few trips to England solo (primarily to go to the antique shows and markets - I have a hobby/business with a small space in an antique mall) and have had a great time, but agree that it is more fun when you have a dining companion. I'm retired with a flexible travel schedule but prefer the off-season months. Linda, I hope you have a wonderful time!
Carol

Posted by
1633 posts

Okay, gals, let's get this 50 plus group going. Help me brainstorm this. We need to be able to communicate the following: when/where we want to travel, who we are and what we like to do when travelling, and contact info that can be confidential (don't want to get "proposals", lol). Maybe start a new post requesting interested individuals to send personal messages to each other, or.... I'm excited to hear your ideas.

Posted by
1 posts

Hi everyone.
I am also a 50+ and this Wednesday, I am leaving for my first ever trip alone. I'm going to Italy to look for my relatives. I will be in Lucca for 2 weeks, then 5 free days, then Florence for 2 weeks. Any travel advice for a first timer? Except for the days in the middle, I already have housing arranged. I am very interested in any 50+ group you put together. Marilyn

Posted by
1318 posts

Hi ladies, In Rome now and loving it. So many fabulous places to see and experience... Never enough time for Rome. However, I'm off to Sorrento today and will try to write later in the week. Really do think its a fun idea to get a group together. More later... Ciao, Linda

Posted by
20 posts

Hello, I am not 50 yet but will be soon. I am also interested in the travel group. I've travelled alone before and it would be nice to have company sometimes. Happy Travels

Posted by
14 posts

I am in as well for something in 2014 for the 50 and up women's group. But if any one is heading to Rome in January 2013 let me know.