Please sign in to post.

14 days trip to europe (London-Amsterdam-Brussel-Luxemburg-Paris.), please help with itinary

I will be traveling to Europe alone in the summer, from July 31-August 14 for 14 days from Houston. I plan to visit North European countries for the first time. I have decided to go to cities are not too far apart meanwhile have plenty to see: London-Amsterdam-Brussel-Luxemburg-Paris.
Experienced European travelers: please help me decide if this itinerary is reasonable/plausible, time wise. I would like to have a taste of major cities. European trip is not cheap, so I would like to maximize my days but meanwhile won't be spending too much time just on traveling either .
Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am a middle aged woman, shows, clubs, concerts etc, are not on top of my list. I am interested in history, nature, arts/museums.
I am open to have a travel partner whom happen to have similar schedule

Posted by
8889 posts

14 days = 13 nights. ÷ 5 = 2-3 night per location, not enough.
I would skip Luxembourg, that is the outlier of your group, less to see and too much travelling time.
13÷4 = 3 nights each, just OK.
Go for an open-jaw flight, flying into London and out of Amsterdam. That avoids doubling back. London-Paris-Brussels-Amsterdam is all easy by train, all trips will take less than 3 hours city centre to city centre.
I would tweak this further, and skip Brussels but substitute Brugge. Brugge is a lovely little town. This gives:
London (4 Nights) - Paris (4N) - Brugge (2N) - Amsterdam (3N).

Once you decide, you need to book your flights and train tickets YESTERDAY. Cheap train tickets sell out early, so book asap.
Go to the http://seat61.com/ website for all info on train travel.

Posted by
7834 posts

I agree cut Luxembourg not unless it something special to you and maybe just a daytrip Brussels since you will have to pass through it away not unless you fly everywhere.

Posted by
15 posts

Thank you so much Chris! I will take your kind advice, cut out Luxemburg. Take Brugge (2) instead. One more question, I have already booked an open-jaw ticket with UA (before the whole horrifying incident, hope I don't have to wear a helmet to board the plane) to London, and back from Paris. So the travel route could it be in this order?: London (4)-Amsterdam(3)- Brugge (2)-Paris (4)? I have not researched enough on transportation go among these cities yet. Just want to know if this route could avoid doubling back. Very excited meanwhile a little anxious. Thank you all for your kindly input.

Posted by
20081 posts

If that is the way you have to go, so be it. You might also consider flying from London City airport to Amsterdam, then trains to Brugge and Paris. And you won't need a helmet on United if you obey instructions of the flight crew, which is required by Federal law.

Posted by
2487 posts

Flying from London to Amsterdam is indeed best done from City Airport. Close to the city and quick handling.
Alternatively you could take the ferry from Harwich to Hoek van Holland. Train to Harwich from London (Liverpool Street station) around 21.00, arrive at Hoek van Holland the next morning at 8.00. You can be in Amsterdam at 10.00. More information on the Stena Line website.