Please sign in to post.

(Virtual) East Bay (SF area) Travel Group Meeting - Sat, May 2, 2020

Please join our next (virtual) East Bay (San Francisco area) Travel Group meeting!

WHEN: Saturday, May 2, 2020 @ 11am (first Saturday)

WHERE: virtual meeting
Please let me know if you can attend so that I can provide you with the URL for the Zoom meeting.
(Avi, if you'd like to host please let me know)

TOPIC: tell us about a favorite place from one of your trips!
Was it a Rick Steves recommendation (always a bonus!) or your own find?
- feel free to share pictures of the place you loved

Setup: please follow these instructions to download Zoom
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/26/how-to-host-a-zoom-meeting.html
- works on Android, iPhone and laptop/desktops
- once you've installed Zoom, please follow their instructions to test your audio and video

Future meetings (2nd Saturdays except as noted):
June 13, 2020 @ 11am
July 11, 2020 @ 11am
August 8, 2020 @ 11am
September (TBD)
October 17, 2020 @ 11am (3rd Saturday)

Posted by
5697 posts

Grrreat! I will be there (maybe even finally getting my laptop working so I won't have to use my teeny-screen phone) and possibly Ed too.
Do people want to hear about places we know best (Munich, Paris,
Vienna ) or lesser-known places we have visited briefly (Gengenbach, Sarlat, Strasbourg, St Remy en Provence) ?

Posted by
2449 posts

I will send the zoom link info to CWSocial and am happy to host using my pro zoom account :-)

Posted by
4593 posts

avirosemail, received, with thanks!

Laura B, I would love to hear about a lesser known place! Not to say I wouldn't also like to hear about the others. That's just my personal opinion, not a directive, and I hope everyone will answer you with their choice.

And everyone feel free to choose to tell us about any favorite place, whether big or small, well known or lesser known. It can even be about somewhere you're planning to go, but haven't been yet. I call your attention to my presentation on Moscow metro stations, as an example!

Posted by
1506 posts

We plan to be there. Will try to find something to report about. Will there be time for everyone?

Posted by
4593 posts

Excellent, Carol!

It's a good question. We'll see how many people will be joining, how many want to share something, and how much time they'd like. If needed, we can set a time limit (perhaps 10 or 15 minutes?) and/or save some for June. I'll pass this month, after giving my Moscow metro tour last month.

Posted by
52 posts

I would like to attend the May meeting. My husband and I can share about Sandomierz, Poland and maybe Valletta, Malta. We can also share about cooking classes we have taken abroad...most recently in Fez, Morocco. Thank you!

Posted by
4593 posts

Catrinatravels, we would love to have you!

There are 3 of us who have (waning, if not cancelled) September plans to visit Poland, including myself. I'd love to hear about Sandomierz! Malta and cooking classes in Morocco (wow!) sound like winners as well.

Please choose the one you prefer, or we'll see if anyone else weighs in.

Posted by
4593 posts

diveloonie aka Tammy, yes we'd love to have you!

Everyone - I'll send out the meeting details (via PMs) in the next day or two. Just sorting things out with our new Zoom host!

Posted by
744 posts

Yes, count me in! Looking forward to sharing one of my favorite "gems" I discovered thanks to Rick Steves!

Posted by
2602 posts

I appreciate the effort to keep us all connected but I will hold out for when we can all gather again, hoping for June :)

Posted by
4593 posts

Christine, looking forward to hearing about your travel gem!

Christa, we miss you. I personally miss you. And we also understand. Zoom meetings aren't a replacement for coffee on the patio at at Geppetto's! I look forward to the time when we can be back there together!

Posted by
648 posts

Thanks for organizing this. I plan to join, although I sure will miss our usual venue!

Posted by
4593 posts

Barbara N, so glad you'll join us online, until we can get back to our wonderful little café!

Posted by
64 posts

Hello, it's been a while since I've been able to attend an in-person meeting, but this suddenly makes it so much easier to join! Please sign me up.

Posted by
4593 posts

Hi Lori, we'd love to have you!

I'll send a message to you with the Zoom meeting info.

Posted by
5697 posts

Catherine, do you know whether Gepetto's is offering prepaid cards or some other method so we could support them during this time ??

Posted by
4593 posts

Laura B, that is a wonderful question! I will try to call Jenny tomorrow and find out.

Posted by
4593 posts

I spoke to Frank at Geppetto's. They are open - for carry-out only, as mandated. They do have gift cards that we can buy in any amount. We'd have to pick them up, which I know will preclude most people.

I could make a trip over there and buy cards for people and then either mail them to you or keep them until our next meeting, whenever that is. You can PayPal or Venmo me the amount you'd like to get a card for.

Let me know of any other suggestions on how to manage this. Or feel free to drop me a private message if you'd like a card and we can work out the details.

Posted by
4593 posts

Terrific, jeffwilbur! I'll send you the meeting details.

Posted by
4593 posts

Terrific videos! I quite enjoyed watching those and looking forward to hearing more about Vienne!

I have the feeling this meeting is going to be very inspiring for my travel dreams.

Posted by
4593 posts

I count 6 people who have said they'll share a favorite place: avirosemail, Laura B, catrinatravels, Carol, Christine and jeffwilbur.

With 2 hours scheduled, time for a few introductions and a mid-way break, we can allocate 12-15 minutes for each person. If you'd like more time, please let me know and we can always save some for June.

If you're not sure how to share your screen in Zoom, drop me a line and we can coordinate a practice session before Saturday. It's not tricky.

I'm looking forward to hearing about some great places!

Posted by
1506 posts

Oops, count me out on sharing a favorite place. Been thinking but just can't pick one. It's like picking a favorite child!

Posted by
4593 posts

Carol, it IS like picking a favorite child. Or, like picking a destination for your next trip.

Looking forward to tomorrow and getting lots more ideas for future destinations!

Posted by
1506 posts

Picking a future destination is also hard - so many to choose from. When we were planning a trip for 2011, after watching Rick's programs we decided to go to Turkey and Greece. After researching, we (me) decided we needed at least 6 weeks to see both countries so we decided to go only to Turkey in September 2011. We spent 3.5 weeks there traveling to many different areas and we loved it! We went to Greece the following September spending 4 weeks visiting some islands, the Pelopennsian, Delphi, and Athens. When we got home I told my D-i-L that we loved Greece but I hated to say it because it felt like we were cheating on Turkey :) Now I've accepted the fact that loving one country doesn't exclude the others. But I still can't pick a favorite!

Posted by
4593 posts

I understand what you're saying about feeling like you're "cheating" one country by liking another. After many, many trips to Italy, when I planned my first trip to central Europe, I felt a bit like I was being unfaithful. Now (as you know) I can't get enough of the new countries I've visited.

Perhaps one of these times you can share something about your trip to Turkey. It's somewhere I'd like to go (probably on an RS tour) and some imaginative sparks might light the fire!

Posted by
4593 posts

Hi Barbara - I just sent you the meeting invite. Sorry I didn't get it to you sooner!

Posted by
2455 posts

Am I too late to participate? Just saw this thread. If OK, someone please send the Zoom link. If 5here is time,I do be happy to share a few minutes about Bulgaria. Thanks folks!

Posted by
4593 posts

Hi Larry, you're not too late, we'd love to have you! And if there's time, I know I would love to hear about Bulgaria. Another country on my wish list! If we run out of time, can we pre-book you for June?

I'll send you a private message with the zoom link and we'll "see" you online tomorrow at 11am.

Posted by
1307 posts

Just saw this.
Catherine, can you send me the link if you see this!
SharYn

Posted by
4593 posts

Oh drat, SharYn, I didn't check my messages or this thread during the meeting. I'm sorry we missed you!

Our next meeting will be June 13th. I'll post the next meeting announcement early in June.

Posted by
4593 posts

Thank you to our virtual tour guides today, Christine, Avi and Larry. It was a great little escape from our lockdown to travel with you to Couloire, Vienne and Bulgaria.

It was wonderful to have travelers join us from here in the Bay Area, from Carmel, and ut-of-state from Colorado and Alaska!

Thanks everyone and I hope you will join us again in June, when we'll have more great armchair travels to Poland (catrinatravels,) Turkey (Carol,) and wherever JeffWilbur and Laura B take us.

Posted by
1506 posts

Interesting meeting today: new travelers, great presentations! We took some virtual tours and added to our list of places we want to visit. Have been to Bulgaria but not Collioure, Vienne. Some fun research to do and hopefully another future trip to look forward to. Thanks to our hosts and presenters!

Posted by
744 posts

Fun meeting today! Thank you for letting me share one of my favorite travel "gems."

Looking forward to our next virtual get together next month!

Posted by
1506 posts

Thanks, Avi. Like most of us, we have a few trips planned. This one may push others down the list, though. I'll check out the website and bookmark it for further reference. Thanks again.