Please sign in to post.

(Virtual) East Bay (SF area) Travel Group Meeting - Sat, March 12, 2022

**Please join our East Bay (San Francisco area) Travel Group meeting!
We welcome newcomers and travelers from around the globe to our online meetings, up to practical online meeting capacity.

WHEN: Saturday, March 12, 2022 @ 11am-1:00pm (Pacific time)

WHERE: online
Please RSVP on this thread
I will send the meeting link via private messages during the week before the meeting.

TOPICS
Come hear about recent travels and let's discuss our plans for 2022.

Recent and Upcoming Travels
Please let me know if you have past or upcoming travels that you'd like to share!

Group Discussions
Airfares: how to find cheap air fares; refundable vs non-refundable in these uncertain times.

Solo travels: I've had requests to discuss solo travels. I know we have quite a few solo travelers. Are there topics you'd like to cover? Advantages/disadvantages? Costs. Complexities. Security.

Please let me know other discussion topics for this meeting!

Future meetings (2nd Saturdays except as noted)
April 9, 2022 @ 11am PT (in-person? to be confirmed)
May 14, 2022 @ 11am PT
June 11, 2022 @ 11am PT (virtual)

Posted by
4078 posts

I hate to miss because I would love to hear ideas about solo traveling! But I will be landing in Barcelona about that time. :)

Posted by
1507 posts

We will be there if we're alert enough after our return from Barcelona the day before. Travelmom, we're ships passing in the night!

Posted by
10222 posts

Please include me. We depart on 3/20 and I can’t wait!

Posted by
2459 posts

I'll be happy to hear from Carol and Andrea and everyone else!
My solo travel contribution is around the issue of mindset.

Posted by
26 posts

Count me in! I am planning a bike tour in Sicily right after Easter.

Posted by
287 posts

Please include me. I don’t have any travels to share but love hearing about others’ trips. Also interested in discussing solo travel. I’d also like to hear about your research on refundable vs. nonrefundable airfares.

Posted by
4616 posts

Wow, we have 1 couple coming back from a trip, 1 person who will be on a trip, and several with trips coming up. It is exciting travel times indeed!! Can't wait to hear all the updates and share a few of my own! And, Travelmom, we will miss you and look forward to hearing about your trip after you're back.

I've sent the link to everyone who has responded above, and there is plenty of room for anyone else who would like to join.

Posted by
3227 posts

Catherine, I thought of a topic I would like to discuss. How to find cheap airfare. I have recent experience I could share, but would love to hear others.

Posted by
4616 posts

Great topic, diveloonie! I've added it, along with "refundable vs non-refundable" under a now-broader topic of airfares.

justsweetjs, we would love to have you join us! I've sent you a private message with the meeting instructions and link for this weekend. Please send me a message if you have any troubles and I'll try to help before Saturday so that you'll be ready for meeting takeoff!

Posted by
325 posts

Just found out my previous activity for this time has been changed, so please add me to the participant list.

Posted by
4616 posts

Lynn - I just sent you the link via private message. I'm glad you can make it!

Everyone - I will log into the meeting 20 or 30 minutes in advance. So anyone who needs to test audio, video or just getting connected can do so. I may not be in my chair the entire time, but you'll see my "Hollywood Square" and know you're in the right place!

Newcomers are still welcome and I will check this thread up until 30 minutes before meeting time.

Posted by
32752 posts

I will log into the meeting 20 or 30 minutes in advance.

will your technical sponsor log in early too?

Posted by
4616 posts

bugslife, I just sent the meeting link via private message. Glad you can make it!

Nigel, it's usually just me for a while, but apparently our good sponsor has set the permission that allows participants to enter the room before he arrives, so we don't have to hang out in the "waiting room."

Posted by
2459 posts

That is correct -
I have events before and after but will be using a different medium for those.

Posted by
4616 posts

Looking forward to seeing everyone online tomorrow! With travel opening back up, the meeting announcement had made its way down to the 3rd or 4th "next page." It's a great sign of lots of new travels!

Please bring your thoughts on finding airfares, whether refundable or non-refundable. And a good discussion on solo travels - whether solo travel is your norm, you travel a mix (like I do) or you would never consider going alone!

Posted by
4616 posts

dswind54, sure hope you make it!

Nigel, nice back bump. Set right back to you :-)

Posted by
287 posts

Looking forward to more travel talk. Nice way to start the weekend.

Posted by
10222 posts

I’m looking forward to this. Thanks for hosting.

Posted by
3 posts

I hope it isn't too late to participate in the discussion. My husband and I are going on a 25th anniversary trip in May. We will be visiting the Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, and the Czech. This will be both of our first times in Europe!

Posted by
4616 posts

J&N, it is not too late! Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your 25th anniversary; how exciting that this will be your first trip to Europe!

I will send you a private message with instructions to join the virtual meeting. Please take a look as you'll need to do some setup for this meeting, beyond the usual "clicking on the link."

Posted by
4616 posts

Hi Shaun Kel, I've just sent you a private message with the link and account instructions to join this morning's meetings. Hope to see you online at the top of this hour! And feel free to join earlier to test that your setup is working.

Posted by
4616 posts

We are online early this morning for anyone who needs to test their meeting setuup.

Posted by
1507 posts

Hi, Catherine
We're not going to make it today. Got home after 9pm, exhausted., but of course have the dreaded wake up in the middle of the night curse. Jet lag has set in. We're spending the day on the couch.

Hate to miss this. Interested in Tammy's tips. Hope to make it to the next meeting.

Posted by
4616 posts

Carol, we will miss you of course, but are very glad to know you passed the testing regimen and made it home safely! We look forward to hearing about your trip at the next meeting.

Posted by
2459 posts

This meeting today was so heartwarming! Great to hear from everyone, regulars and newbies all.

Posted by
39 posts

I was so happy to be able to join today. Can you believe that with 14 in attendance, 2 of us are on the same upcoming RS tour?! The world gets smaller and smaller! Safe travels, all
Deb

Posted by
3227 posts

Thank you for hosting Avi and Catherine and yes Deb, how small the world is and nice to meet you! I can't wait for our RS tour Paris & HOF next month! Only 31 days till the start of the tour!

Posted by
32752 posts

Another wonderful meeting, even if no Santa hats were evident. Sorry I ran out of gas and had to leave early....

Posted by
10222 posts

Great meeting! Thanks for including me.

Posted by
10222 posts

I forgot to mention before the end of the meeting, but during the break I did a dummy booking to see if it was possible to have a free layover in the U.S. using United miles. Nope. If you book an additional flight within Europe you only pay the taxes and fees.

Posted by
4078 posts

Nigel, Santa hats packed away till next year. Lol. Currently hat shopping in Spain…. Sounds like a great meeting - sorry I missed it!