Please sign in to post.

(Virtual) East Bay (SF area) Travel Group Meeting - Sat, June 13, 2020

Please join our next (virtual) East Bay (San Francisco area) Travel Group meeting!
Visitors always welcome, and especially now when it's so easy to join from across the country.

WHEN: Saturday, June 13, 2020 @ 11am-12:30pm (Pacific time) (we might go over time a bit, but not more than 2 hours)

WHERE: virtual meeting
Please let me know if you can attend so that I can provide you with the URL for the Zoom meeting.

Introductions: please take 90 seconds to tell us about a favorite small museum or site that you enjoyed in your travels!

TOPIC: armchair travels from the archives

Please let me know if you are still interested in presenting: catrinatravels, Carol, JeffWilbur, Laura B
If we have 4 presenters, then each can take 12-15 minutes, and a bit extra if there are questions.

We will also discuss our options for meetings in July and beyond.

Future meetings (2nd Saturdays except as noted):
July 11, 2020 @ 11am
August 8, 2020 @ 11am
September (still TBD, likely Sept 12th, if I'm not in Poland)
October 17, 2020 @ 11am (3rd Saturday)

Posted by
740 posts

Yes! I'll be there! Looking forward to watching Carol's slide show on Turkey and the other presenters! Thank you so much, Catherine, for organizing our virtual meeting. Something fun to look forward to!

Posted by
1499 posts

We'll also be there. My presentation is about 12 minutes so that fits with your schedule. Not easy to compress six weeks into 12 minutes!

Posted by
4539 posts

Christine and Carol, looking forward to "seeing" you both, along with at least one out-of-town guest who has said she will join!

I've sent you each the URL. Looking forward to armchair travels with you, and others, Carol.

Posted by
5697 posts

Not sure how much I will have to share -- just a few minutes, so other presentations can run long. But Ed and I will be there to hear what everyone has been up to or is planning.
Lauri

Posted by
1305 posts

I'm planning to "come" as well.
No presentation from me, but I'll be interested in everyone else's.
SharYn

Posted by
4539 posts

Excellent, just sent the meeting info to you both, Laura B and SharYn.

So glad you'll be there!

Posted by
4539 posts

I went to Geppetto's today! They are open for outdoor dining and take-away, in line with the current county guidelines.

Patrons are not allowed inside. Jenny was wearing a mask to take and deliver orders. You place your order at a little table set up at their front door and they bring your order out to you when it's ready. They have the same patio tables that were in place before. I didn't measure, but the tables seemed "safely" distant from each other. Because tables are diagonal from each other, I estimate they were more than 6 feet apart. One table in the back corner might have been a bit tight.

Jenny was so happy that her customers are starting to come back. They had some very, very slow days, but she said it has started to pick up. While I was there, they had moderate traffic at the front door for takeaway. For a while (around Noon) we were the only patio diners; later, all but one table was taken. And then empty again in the afternoon as their end of day (3pm closing time) approached. If you're interested in a visit, I'm sure there are fewer guests during the week. (Reminder: they are closed on Sundays.) Bring your own pen if you're paying with VISA :-)

Posted by
98 posts

Count me in....
I can share a fun small museum. Actually, I could share a few of those but I'll limit myself to one.

I can do that presentation from last time. I'll have to remember what I was going to say. I can make it brief.

Jeff

Posted by
2417 posts

I keep forgetting to bring my own pen to sign the credit slip, and then when I get home by the time I wash my hands I've already touched a dozen other things just putting stuff down...

Posted by
3938 posts

I got one of our local restaurants to change its credit card limit for everyone, from $25 to $100 so you don’t have to sign anything. The first time we ordered from them and I went to get the curbside pick up, I looked at them like they had two heads when they wanted me to touch the screen and sign with my finger. Finally they made a scribble for me. Two weeks later when I went back I was expecting to ask them to scribble on the screen for me when they proudly told me their new system. It’s such a learning curve for everyone!

Posted by
4539 posts

avirosemail, I know just what you mean. It's a new memory game, keeping track of all the things I touched on the way home from the grocery store. And my dog doesn't understand why she no longer gets my immediate attention when I walk in the door!

Mona, I'm going to have to practice my "you must be kidding me, I'm not touching that pen" look! I already had someone try to shake my hand to say hello. The "you must be kidding me, I'm not shaking hands with you" look came easily, so there's hope :-)

Posted by
34 posts

Even though I live in St. Louis MO would you let me come to your virtual meeting? We were planning a trip in April but a grandchild came up so we had changed to Aug. Now who knows when. I have lived in Paris and London many years ago. I was looking forward to visiting the south of France and Austria/ Germany.

Posted by
4539 posts

Hello jobeck52, yes, we'd love to have you join! It's fun to meet travelers outside our geography during our virtual meetings.

Congrats on the new grandchild! I will send a private message with the meeting details.

Posted by
52 posts

Hi Catherine
My husband Bill and I plan to attend. Please send the Zoom invitation. Looking forward to sharing a curated group of photos from our time in Poland and some stories!
Thank you!
Catherine

Posted by
11 posts

A friend suggested I join this group. This will be my first meeting. Please send the URL for the meeting on June 13th. Thank you.

Posted by
4539 posts

catrinatravels, looking forward to your stories and photos of Poland, for my trip in September or whenever.

craig_gayleen and catrinatravels, I will contact each of you via private message regarding the meeting details.

Posted by
4539 posts

diveloonie aka Tammy, just sent. So glad you'll join us on Saturday!

Posted by
19052 posts

Catherine, I'd like to attend your meeting Saturday. Please send me a link.

Larry (Lee)

please take 90 seconds to tell us about a favorite small museum

I'm not normally a museum person, but I have had two very interesting experiences at the Münchner Stadt Museum (City Museum of Munich). it's a little south of Marienplatz.

First time there they had a cut-away model of a house in Munich from hundreds of years ago. Particularly interesting was the bathroom - basically a five story outhouse. The next time there they had maps, models, and drawings of Munich through the centuries, from a walled city to today.

When I've been there, the exhibits have only been in German, but maps and models are pretty easy to understand.

Posted by
4539 posts

Hey Lee, you've reminded me how much I enjoy city museums!

A 5 story outhouse?!?!?!!!

I just sent you the meeting details.

Posted by
3943 posts

@ Mona, I know I am in Texas, however similarly..... I ordered a meal ahead of time 2 weeks ago, drove up to the window to pay and pick up, and the girl at the window said “Oh, would you mind to park and come inside to pay?” I didn’t mean to but I know I looked at her like she was crazy. Silence and then I processed enough to (nicely) reply, “No, I don’t want to come inside. That’s why I called ahead.”

Posted by
4539 posts

Hi Barbara N, just sent you the link. See you tomorrow morning!

Posted by
11 posts

Hi CWsocial,

I never rec'd your private message or the link to the meeting. Please advise how I can join next month's meeting.

Thanks,
Gayleen

Posted by
2417 posts

This meeting was a real pleasure - we're getting to glimpse some of the less ballyhooed treasures by hearing about Turkey and Poland! Thanks for everyone's participation.

Posted by
3183 posts

Going to try to put a Norway 🇳🇴 presentation together for next time. I did a powerpoint presentation once a few years ago to my daughter’s class on our trip to Africa, so hoping it all comes back.

Posted by
4539 posts

I really enjoyed our virtual travels today. Thank you to our guides for Poland and Turkey. Can't wait to travel again next time!

Posted by
4539 posts

Hi craig_gayleen, do you get your private messages on the forum? I sent you a message (06/10/20 12:19 PM) but did not hear back from you. Can you please check to see if you received it?

I will post a meeting announcement for July's meeting the week prior. At that time we'll set up the meeting and I'll send the details via private message to anyone who lets me know they'll be joining. So let's make sure you're getting private forum messages!

Posted by
5697 posts

Great meeting, everybody. Thanks to Avi and Catherine for hosting and to presenters for evocative trip reports. Sign me up for Poland and Turkey!

Posted by
740 posts

Delightful meeting today! Loved Carol's slide show on Turkey and Catherine's Poland presentation. Both countries are now on my travel wish list!
Great seeing everyone today. Special thanks to our hosts, Catherine and Avi!
Christine

Posted by
2455 posts

Oops, that was today, wasn’t it? My bad. Sorry, but glad you all had a good time.

Posted by
1499 posts

Agree it was another great meeting. Enjoyed Catherine's Poland presentation, especially since we will not be going in September as planned. The short museum talks and pictures were interesting. Our list keeps getting longer!

Posted by
34 posts

Thank you for including me in your meeting. I enjoyed hearing about Turkey and Poland and seeing the pictures. I am looking forward to next month hearing about Norway and the mystery place.
Robin from St. Louis