Please sign in to post.

(Virtual) East Bay (SF area) Travel Group Meeting - Sat, June 11, 2022

We invite you to join our East Bay (San Francisco area) Travel Group meeting!
We welcome newcomers and travelers from around the globe to our online meetings.

WHEN: Saturday, June 11, 2022 @ 11am-1:00pm (Pacific time)

WHERE: online; please RSVP on this thread
I will send the meeting link via private messages during the week before the meeting.

TOPICS
Let's hear from all of our travelers and travel planners, several of whom are recently back from travels, on the road now, and packing for trips. Let's hear about them all!

Others - please let me know if you will have travels to share.
CWsocial- with luck, I'll have returned on June 10th from Turkey. Hear all about it while I'm still jetlagged!! (Probably no pics by then.)

Future meetings (2nd Saturdays except as noted)

July 23, 2022 @ 11am PT (please note: 4th Saturday due to my travels)

(Revised) August 9, 2022 @ 11am PT (tentative weekday date and time, to be confirmed depending on everyone's availability)
- we will hold an in-person meeting; one-time location to be announced
Note, this is not our usual Saturday meeting time!

Posted by
4593 posts

Note: I am posting this early as it would be difficult to post while I am in Turkey.

Please begin to reply if you'll be able to attend, but do not be surprised if I am sending out links on June 10th!

Posted by
32713 posts

tell the pilot to wind the rubberband before takeoff.

Happy Turkey!!

(I'm in)

Posted by
4058 posts

I know I asked you guys about doing this - but after yet another person yesterday got me confused with one of the other travelmom people, I did changed my user name to TexasTravelmom. So y’all don’t be confused. Lol.

Posted by
4593 posts

Glad to see that we'll have so many travelers! As a reminder, unlike typical meetings, I will not be sending the link out the week prior to the meeting, but rather the night before, so don't be concerned. Even if I'm stuck in Turkey, I'll figure something out.

For anyone who responds after this post, please don't worry if I don't reply. There's room for everyone and I will send the link to those who post here.

TexasTravelMom - well, it's a shame that you had to change your handle, but TexasTravelMom does have a certain ring to it: I think I might even like it just a tiny bit better!!

Posted by
32713 posts

Oooh, I hadn't noticed the original Travelmom's name change. So sad you have to because of a new person taking the name. I'll have to get used to the change..... TexasTravelmom

Posted by
4058 posts

Lol, Nigel! I could have left it but decided the confusion bothered me…. :) You already have the Texas connection down, though!

Posted by
301 posts

Aha! I saw a post earlier with TexasTravelmom and thought it was a different person using ‘travel mom.’ So glad you mentioned the update. And I’m with CWsocial in liking it better too!

Also confirming attendance at the June meeting, it will be great seeing everyone again!

CWsocial, hoping you have a wonderful trip! Looking forward to hearing about the Turkey tour. It’s on my (long) list of RS tour destinations.

Posted by
4593 posts

Thank you, mln! Looking forward to hearing about your tour as well. I hope it was fabulous!

We're at Frankfurt airport, waiting to board the flight to Istanbul. I'll have an excuse to go shopping there as I left a shirt and sweater - key to my packing light strategy - in the Denver airport. I didn't even make it onto the first flight without losing something. Dumb.

Posted by
4058 posts

@CWSocial, look at it this way - maybe you got the “losing or forgetting something” aspect of the trip over and done already! So no more worries! Lol!

@min, thank you! And yes, looking forward to hearing all about your long trip!

Posted by
4593 posts

Yes agreed!! Got that out of the way 🤣🤣

We're in Istanbul!! Meandered across the Galata Bridge and about to have dinner at the rooftop restaurant. Then sleep!!

Posted by
301 posts

My strategy for not losing anything on my last trip was to always put stuff in my cinch sac when out and about and in a catch all bag or luggage when in my room. It was a pain as there were times it would definitely be easier to not do so, but it worked, came home with everything I left with. I did temporarily lose one item at a museum security check (because I didn’t follow my ‘put it in the cinch sac’ rule) but luckily it was found and turned in and I got it back (with a slight bit of hassle proving it was mine).

Posted by
4593 posts

mln, I have the perfect cinch sac at home and apparently I'll be adopting your strategy for future trips!

Posted by
4593 posts

And boy do I get annoyed with myself when I don't follow the put-it-in-the-cinch-sac type rules.

Posted by
4058 posts

Glad you are safely in Istanbul now!!!

And don’t miss adding Shaun to the meeting list. 🤣🤣

Posted by
301 posts

@ CWsocial I adopted one of your strategies, so am grateful as I never thought of it. I used the neck wallet (worn cross body) at the airport for ticket and passport and also on the trains with my rail pass, so handy-dandy, worked marvelously, thanks so much!

Posted by
93 posts

Very much looking forward to June's zoom. Hope Turkey is giving you lots to tell us about, CW !

Posted by
32713 posts

I do think it is a bit extreme to take off your shirt and sweater before getting on the plane. I know they can be stuffy and warm but jeez! What did the cabin crew say???

I'm ready for the story when we next gather....

Good chance for a little retail therapy.

Have a great time. Glad you're there safely.

Posted by
4593 posts

Haha Nigel, we were hoping for an upgrade to first class, of course!

A little shopping trip this morning at the nearby Columbia Sportswear shop and problem solved! Never mind that apparently only men wear outdoor gear here, so the buttons are on the "wrong" side. (If I'd bought it in England that would be quite poetic.) And with the temperatures forecast in the 70s to 90s, the sweater would have gotten a lot more hangar time than good use. So now it's all just a good travel souvenir story!!!

Posted by
301 posts

Yay, those are the best souvenirs! Story and practical. Looking forward to seeing at the June meeting :)

Posted by
52 posts

Hello from Lisbon! I would like to attend the meeting on 6/10. If anyone is interested in hearing about my trip, I am happy to share!
Heading to Porto on 6/3.

Posted by
2450 posts

note that the current version (as of today 01 June) of Zoom is

Version: 5.10.7 (7748)

and update your computer as needed!
You'll need to be logged in to join the meeting, no anonymous attendees.

Posted by
32713 posts

quanmama, the meeting is on Saturday the 11th, not the 10th which is a Friday....

Posted by
4593 posts

Hello from Mustafa Paşa, Cappadocia, Turkey!

I'll be sending the meeting link via pm with very little fanfare as and when I have connectivity.

Posted by
4593 posts

I've sent out messages to many of you. More to follow. Please remember the meeting is not this weekend but the next. I'm just getting the links out a bit earlier than usual. And sorry the messages are brief as I'm typing on my phone and fighting the internet! There's a marvelous breeze and the Call To Prayer finished.

Off to Konya tomorrow!

Posted by
1307 posts

I’m hoping that I can make this meeting!
Looks to be lots of great travel stories…

Posted by
4593 posts

I think I've sent messages to everyone above who expressed interest. Please let me know if I've missed anyone. I'll check this thread after I land, late tonight.

Posted by
324 posts

I would like a link in case I can join in. Will be at a friend's home, so iffy. I really don't want to miss the trip talk.

Posted by
285 posts

Sorry but I won’t be able to attend this meeting. Hopefully I’ll be able to attend the next virtual meeting.

Posted by
4593 posts

Sorry you can't make it, but thanks for letting us know and see you next time!

Posted by
2450 posts

This meeting today really whetted our appetites for travel! It was great to hear from those freshly returned, recently returned, and soon-to-head-out. And extra kudos to CWsocial for juggling so many re-settling issues at the same time!

Posted by
1506 posts

As is usual for this group - another interesting and fun meeting! Thanks to Catherine, Mellanie, and Rebeka for sharing their trips with us! We're all ready for travel either in person or vicariously.

Posted by
301 posts

And thank you to CWsocial for sharing pictures of your Turkey adventure! Your ongoing trip report painted such vivid experiences and it was so much fun to see the corresponding images.

Posted by
4058 posts

Missed your smile, Valerie!

Another fun meeting! I loved hearing all three trip reports! And travel perspectives!

Posted by
52 posts

Thank you for letting me join the meeting yesterday. It was nice to hear others' travel experience. Looking forward to next meeting and hopefully I could make it (I work on some Saturdays).