Please sign in to post.

(Virtual) East Bay (SF area) Travel Group Meeting - Sat, January 9, 2021

Please join our next (virtual) East Bay (San Francisco area) Travel Group meeting.
Visitors are encouraged!

WHEN: Saturday, January 9, 2021 @ 11am-1:00pm (Pacific time)

WHERE: virtual meeting, I will send the link via private message to participants

ARMCHAIR TRAVELS from the archives
Travel virtually with us to Luxembourg and Dresden.
Edit: click the Dresden link, above, for my trip report.

Chateau visits:
- day trip to Schloss Pillnitz (near Dresden)

Have you toured any chateaux? (Not museums)
- please let me know (in advance) if you'd like to share a chateau visit at our January meeting

TOPIC:
Why we travel - did you watch the Rick Steves "Why We travel" episode?
I encourage you to watch it before the meeting and let's talk about why we travel.

Future meetings (2nd Saturdays except as noted)
February 13, 2021 @ 11am PT (virtual meeting)
March 13, 2021 @ 11am PT (virtual meeting)
April 10, 2021 @ 11am PT (virtual meeting)
May 8, 2021 @ 11am PT - I hope this may be an in-person meeting, socially distanced somewhere (virtual meeting as backup)

Posted by
2447 posts

Do you think Hampton Court - house and gardens - is too museum-y to count as a chateau?

In any case, there are aspects of the Why We Travel episode that I'd love to discuss ...

Best regards -

Posted by
4585 posts

Do you think Hampton Court - house and gardens - is too museum-y to count as a chateau?
I think this was your topic suggestion, avirosemail, so if you say it's ok, then it's ok!!

In any case, there are aspects of the Why We Travel episode that I'd love to discuss ...
Excellent, looking forward to hearing!

Posted by
5697 posts

Maybe we should emulate Rick and enjoy a plate of munchies and a beverage while we all talk about why we travel. See you all then!
Lauri and Ed

Posted by
4585 posts

I think that's a great idea. Although at 11am, perhaps I'll plan for coffee rather than beer or wine!

Posted by
10203 posts

I would love to join you this time. Lauri, I like your idea to emulate Rick.

Posted by
1506 posts

We plan to attend. Good ideac CW. Why We Travel was a great show and should lead to an interesting discussion!

Posted by
5697 posts

Note that 11 a.m. is 8 p.m. in Paris (yes, I have the clock on my phone set to show both) ... time for Heidi cocoa!

Posted by
301 posts

Count me in too, looking forward to the virtual travels and the Why We Travel chat, great idea, thank you!

Posted by
4585 posts

I've sent the meeting link to Laura B, Andrea, Carol, Travelmom and mln. I got "application errors" for each and every one and had to try multiple times to convince the messages to go, so please make sure you've received them.

Laura B, I love that you show dual time on your phone. You're right, it'll be 8pm in Europe!!

Posted by
743 posts

Count me in. Great idea, Catherine, to discuss Rick's latest episode on "Why We Travel."

Posted by
4585 posts

Christine and Barbara N, glad you'll both make it! I've sent each of you the meeting link.

Posted by
10203 posts

I got mine. Thanks for including me.

Posted by
4585 posts

Lynn, I've just sent you the meeting link. See you on the 9th!

Posted by
5202 posts

Hi Catherine,

Please count me in too! 😉

Happy & healthy new year to everyone!

Posted by
1307 posts

I thought that I had a conflict, but, happily, I don't.
So please include me too.

Posted by
4585 posts

Priscilla and SharYn, I've sent you each a private message with the link. See you soon!

Posted by
4585 posts

Hi Barbara, I've just sent you a message with the meeting link. So glad you'll be joining us!

Posted by
26 posts

Count me in. I look forward to reliving my memories of Luxembourg and Dresden.

Posted by
32702 posts

I'd love to visit the meeting. Despite it being at 7pm for me I will have been in a Zoom class for 4 hours ending at 7pm. Despite that, if it isn't too rude to be fashionably late (have to get dinner) I'd really like to be there for the Luxembourg bit at least. One of my favourite cities and one of my favourite countries.

I don't want to bend the rules though....

Posted by
4585 posts

Nigel and Anne, I've sent each of you a message with the zoom link.

Nigel, you're very brave to attend 5-6 online hours in a row! Please join us fashionably late and we will talk about "Why We Travel" for a bit at the outset, which hopefully will allow you to join in time for our visit to Luxembourg.

Posted by
2447 posts

What a fun meeting -- well organized by CWsocial and enjoyable comments by everyone,
plus valuable showcases of Dresden and Luxembourg - glad I got to be there :-0

Posted by
32702 posts

I had a great time! Thanks for hosting, CWSocial. I learned a lot.

Posted by
1506 posts

Agree with Avi - a really enjoyable meeting. Everyone's comments were interesting and it seems we all expressed the same sentiments though in different ways. Catherine: Enjoyed Dresden - it's still nice to see presentations of places we have been because everyone travels differently so we can get a different perspective. And great pictures! Thanks! Mellani - Loved Luxembourg! Don't think we would have considered going there before but the scenery was beautiful and we now have another country to add to our list. Thanks!

Posted by
4048 posts

I just have to concur - another great meeting. :) I really enjoyed all the different elements! Looking forward to February.

Posted by
301 posts

Carol, glad to hear! I had hoped to convey what a lovely place it is.

CWsocial, adding my gratitude to you for organizing these meetings, it was wonderful as always and I enjoyed visiting Dresden!

Posted by
4585 posts

Thank you mln for sparking my interest in Luxembourg. I particularly like how you used your time there as a way to relax upon arrival. I am inclined to adopt that approach.

And thank you to Nigel for your thematically appropriate and historical contribution to my Dresden presentation. What a wonderful example is set by the twinning of Coventry and Dresden. And what a beautiful "visible symbol" of reconciliation is the gold cross that adorns the cathedral.

Your telling of that story inspired me to read more and I found this further article which adds:

"In turn, the most visible symbol of the Frauenkirche is the two-tonne gold cross that now crowns the cathedral. It was created by the British goldsmith Adam Smith, whose father, Frank Smith, flew one of the RAF bombers that destroyed Dresden. Smith told how his father remained convinced until his death that the bombing of Dresden, in the last months of the war, was inhuman and immoral. "Although my father never spoke to me about the bombing, I knew from my mother that it made him another man," he said. 'This was a chance to put something right.' "

My opportunity to see the Frauenkirche of Dresden, and learn about that history firsthand, is an example of why I travel. Thank you to everyone who shared your thoughts on why you travel.

See you next month in some combination of Croatia and/or Slovenia. Please let me know if you'd like to share your travels to either country, along with myself and Carol.

Posted by
10203 posts

Thanks for including me. I enjoyed the discussions.