Please sign in to post.

(Virtual) East Bay (SF area) Travel Group Meeting - Sat, Jan 8, 2022

**Please join our East Bay (San Francisco area) Travel Group meeting!
We welcome newcomers and travelers from around the globe to our online meetings, up to practical online meeting capacity.

WHEN: Saturday, January 8, 2022 @ 11am-1:00pm (Pacific time)

WHERE: online
Please RSVP on this thread
I will send the meeting link via private messages during the week before the meeting.

TOPICS
Come hear about recent travels and let's discuss our plans for 2022.

Travels
Everyone - Christmas/New Years Travels - let us know where you went!
(15 min each)
diveloonie - Egypt (pending confirmation that she is available for January)
TravelMom - Paris (we'll hear about Prague in February)
CWSocial - SE states road trip in November, including Savannah

Please let me know if you have new or prior travels that you'd like to share at a future meeting!

Group Discussions
How are your 2022 plans looking?
Booking international flights for 2022? When? What are the terms for reschedule/cancel/voucher-refund?
COVID travel insurance for 2022....any experience? coverage for costs if you test positive before returning home?

And for fun...
Do you have a favorite Christmas ornament from your travels? Keep it out and share the story!
[Feel free to suggest other topics and I will add them to this meeting or a future meeting.]

Future meetings (2nd Saturdays except as noted)
February 12, 2022 @ 11am PT (online)
TravelMom - Prague (and anyone else who wants to share memories of Prague or another destination)

March 12, 2022 @ 11am PT (in-person? we'll see ....)
April 9, 2022 @ 11am PT

Posted by
2456 posts

Looking forward to this meeting!
I'd also like to hear everyone's tips for handling cold weather.

Posted by
4074 posts

Happy to share any time (who doesn’t want to talk about their trips?) but looks like you have lots of good ideas! I have pictures from Croatia or from Paris or Prague. Have a ton of plans for 2022 - and have been doing both the insurance thing and the rescheduling stuff this week. At this moment American Airlines has been playing me (not so) nice “hold” music for 2 hours…… 😂

I should be here in Feb., too and then gone on the March and April dates.

Posted by
4601 posts

avirosemail - my tip for handling cold weather: book your flights for May - October! Follow me for more great travel advice ;-)

OK, everyone, where shall it be - Croatia? Prague? Paris? Cast your votes please!

Posted by
285 posts

Looking forward to this meeting! All of TravelMom’s options are interesting but my vote is for Paris. I’d also like to hear about your trip, Catherine. And of course, Egypt, if Diveloonie is available to present.

Posted by
65 posts

Hi @CWsocial. Please send me link to join the meeting. I’m from Marin Co. and have booked my first RS tour for 2022. Looking forward to meeting everyone and talking about one of my favorite subjects (besides wine). Happy New Year!

Linda

Posted by
1506 posts

We hope to attend. Just marked our 2022 calendar with the meeting dates. I vote for Prague since we've been to Paris and Croatia, but we'll enjoy any of the three.

And Happy New Year, everyone! Here's to a healthy, safe, and well traveled 2022!

Posted by
32740 posts

I'll try to get there but not sure...

Thanks for another, CWSocial.

If I were choosing - I'd always enjoy learning more about more places I'm not familiar with in Paris...

Posted by
4074 posts

Just to say. Nigel I am QUITE sure I went nowhere new in Paris. Lol! With only 3 days and 2 people who had never been, we hit a few highlights. :) So my photos would be more of the “oh, I remember when I went there and had so much fun” type….. OR seeing some of the places decorated for Christmas. Still happy to share whatever - I have fun talking about anything travel-related! I can also do a pretty good talk on how to look like a tourist at Christmas. 🤣

Posted by
32740 posts

I can also do a pretty good talk on how to look like a tourist at Christmas. 🤣

Sign me up!!

Always need more fodder for that discussion here on the Forums.

A bit of light relief (other than Avirosemail's donkeys) always goes down well!!

Posted by
658 posts

I plan to join the meeting. I vote for Prague—I would love to go there!

Posted by
285 posts

Travelmom, I’m still interested in your Paris trip even if you went nowhere new. It’s been 6 1/2 years since I last got to visit Paris so it all sounds good to me (including how to look like a tourist at Christmas lol).

Posted by
4074 posts

Lol! Travel like a tourist was definitely the motto for this trip! I can talk fast (or little), so maybe you want a few pics from both Paris and Prague. :)

Posted by
3225 posts

Yes, please send me the link and I will show and tell about my recent trip to Egypt.
Just canceled first trip of 2022🥲. A cruise at the end of January, due to rampant covid.
I cast my vote for Paris! Supposed to do RS trips there in April.

Posted by
4601 posts

OK, let's all go back to Paris with TravelMom! I'm thinking I need to get back there.
diveloonie - very sorry to hear about your cruise cancellation. I hope that's not the world one. Egypt will be a treat!

I'll share a few highlights of my SE road trip, because I actually think it was a pretty darn good trip and I did my best to plan it like I was traveling in Europe.

Let's plan Prague for February and perhaps others can share a favorite memory or activity from there.

I'm starting to send out the links, please watch your messages.

Another CWSocial ... Nigel :-)

Posted by
4601 posts

OK, if my rickety little process worked, each of you who has responded to date should have the meeting link in your messages.

Posted by
93 posts

Hope to join in this month, CWsocial. Also, please see my PM ...

Posted by
4601 posts

bugslife - link sent, fingers crossed that it all works!

Posted by
1307 posts

I'd like to be a part of this as well.
Thanks, Catherine.

Posted by
4601 posts

SharYn, I just sent you the link. See you online on Saturday!

Posted by
4601 posts

Last call! I will check this thread a final time at 10:30am PT and can still send the link to anyone (anywhere) who would like to attend.
See you all online soon!

Posted by
2456 posts

Wow- this set a new personal record for longest RS travel club zoom -- some of us stayed for 2 hrs 45 minutes.
All the presentations were great, and the discussion also brought us together.

I think we should consider doing a 'moments we had the place to ourselves' theme / topic at some point as a way of putting a silver lining on covid-era travels....

Posted by
4074 posts

Thanks for letting us continue, Avi! I had definitely been missing this group! Loved hearing about Egypt and Savannah! And I now have Valkenburg noted as a future potential Christmas trip. :)

Posted by
1506 posts

Agree, it was a great meeting and a great way to start the year. Interesting presentations and discussions. It seems everyone had something to add. Thanks again to everyone!

Posted by
285 posts

I really enjoyed this meeting. Thanks to the presenters who all did a great job. All those destinations have been on my future travel list (Paris as a repeat trip but at Christmas time) and it was great to learn more about those. Thanks to Catherine and Avi for coordinating this meeting.

Posted by
32740 posts

I wish I had been able to stay for the whole party. Sorry.

I loved what I did have time for, Egypt - wonderful of you Tammy to send the link, now I can share the trip with my wife at her speed - thanks!!!! -,

and Paris. I've been so often but never seen it like that. The yellow/golden lights really work at night. And what a wonderful photo of the Tower. Wow!!!

So glad I was able to attend. Now I need to learn about Savannah on my own ... boo.. and I would have loved to hear what was said about Valkenberg. Is that the one near Maastricht and Aachen? I know it quite well - I wonder what I have missed....

Thanks CWsocial and Avirosemail. Very generous.

Posted by
4601 posts

diveloonie - thanks for letting us hop aboard a camel ride with you to Egypt. Sometimes I get distracted while I'm admiring your photo album skills. I've already grabbed the flags for the states I traveled to and am working them into my PowerPoint version of a memory book: though they'll never be as artistic as yours!

TravelMom - it was a real treat to see Paris at Christmas, and I love how your Santa hats added to the fun and festivity of your trip!

Thanks Avi, for your hosting generosity.

Laura B - we missed you and were all thinking of you yesterday.

Posted by
4074 posts

Nigel, since we were talking a little about travel at Christmas, Ron shared a few photos from the cave Christmas market in Valkenburg - and you know I am making a note of it. Lol! But you didn’t miss any discussion. :)